Small business makes the world go around – it’s the heart of the global economy. At Xero we want millions of small businesses to thrive through beautiful software, advice and connections. We aim to make being a small business more efficient and profitable, and more enjoyable too.
How you’ll make an impact
As Xero is constantly growing and striving for excellence, we’re looking for an experienced, adaptable and passionate Legal Counsel. You will be responsible for partnering with the business and providing legal advice in relation to legal matters affecting the organization, as well as ensuring that all our operations are compliant with relevant laws.
You will report to the Denver-based GM Legal and Business Advisory and work closely with the wider global Legal team, external advisors and strategic partners to support Xero’s legal and compliance function in the region.
Of course, this position description is just a guide – you’ll be expected to be flexible and perform any other duties as reasonably required of you by your Manager and this position description is likely to evolve and develop over time.
What you’ll do
- Work as an integrated part of the global legal team to provide legal services on global or platform matters including procurement, product support, customer support, and security
- Work closely with Xero’s commercial team in your region to help drive strategic relationships and initiatives for Xero locally, but with a global mindset
- Provide advice to senior managers on legal aspects of their defined areas (including security, sales/marketing, customer experience, and product)
- Drive and/or manage within the global legal team projects to manage workflow, improve operational efficiency, achieve global and regional education and training, and enable compliance.
- Contribute to internal policy and process development
- Review, negotiate and draft key legal documents, such as vendor supply agreements, marketing partner agreements, data exchange agreements, integration agreements, and procurement contracts
- Ensure the business is informed and compliant with any relevant existing or proposed laws that may impact the operations of the business
- Liaise and collaborate with legal team peers in all areas and regions to deliver holistic legal function outcomes. Liaise with and manage Xero’s external legal advisors, as required
- Assist with investigating and responding to inquiries from law enforcement agencies and regulators
- Assist with any M&A activity, as required
Success looks like
Working closely with the GM Legal and Business Advisory, global legal team members, local and global management, strategic partners, and external advisors to support and manage Xero’s legal function in your local region.
What you’ll bring with you
- Critical competencies
- Strong drafting, analytical, and interpretation skills
- Strong commercial acumen and a pragmatic approach
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High level of attention to detail
- Ability to work autonomously
- Ability to take a proactive and creative approach to managing/solving legal issues
- Collaborative, growth and innovation mindset
- Ability to convey complex legal matters in a digestible, plain-english format
- Keenness to develop meaningful relationships across the business through personable stakeholder engagements
- 5+ years experience (prior in-house legal experience desirable)
- Admitted to practice law in the State of Colorado, or admitted to the Bar of another state with the ability to become authorized to practice in-house in the State of Colorado prior to commencement of employment
- Experience providing legal advice to companies in the technology sector
- Experience with international commercial transactions (desirable)
- Experience with financial services regulation (desirable)
This is an outstanding opportunity in a dynamic, fast paced, growth-orientated business.If you meet the above criteria, then we’d like you to be a part of the next chapter of the Xero success story. At Xero, we encourage diversity, foster innovation and reward success.
Xero is an Equal Opportunity Employer.