This may be one of the most interesting IP positions in life sciences. Spend a few minutes reviewing its SEC filings and the breadth of the patents owned by Lantheus and its subsidiaries, Progenics Pharmaceuticals, Molecular Insight Pharmaceuticals and EXINI, and that will give you a sense of who Lantheus is and where it is going.The Deputy General Counsel – IP will take on a leading role in an experienced Legal team and will oversee the Company’s IP ‐related work, including:
- helping refine and implement a comprehensive IP and regulatory strategy;
- contributing to decision‐making relating to patent and trademark prosecution and maintenance;
- leading important transactions;
- overseeing IP defense and enforcement; and
- managing outside counsel and being responsible for IP budgeting, forecasting and ensuring the delivery of appropriate, value‐oriented advice and work
The Deputy General Counsel – IP will also work with the Legal team on other in‐house matters, which will ensure a well‐rounded development experience. Lantheus trains and develops its lawyers with the expectation that, should they choose, they will one day become the general counsel of a life sciences company.
Following the retirement of the Company’s long‐time General Counsel, the Legal Department will consist of the newly‐promoted General Counsel and Deputy General Counsel, a senior corporate counsel, a corporate counsel (currently being recruited), the Deputy General Counsel – IP (this position), a patent prosecutor, and key administrative staff. The Department functions as a collaborative partnership with a commitment to integrity, high quality work product, pragmatic advice, professional development and career advancement. Of particular importance, the Legal Department is respected by and fully integrated with the business.
The successful candidate will find the work in the Legal Department to be sophisticated, diverse and challenging, with cutting edge IP and business issues to address on a daily basis. The Deputy General Counsel – IP will interact extensively with executives and personnel at all levels of the Company.Among their other duties, the successful candidate will:
- Work closely and collaboratively with the Company’s Research and Product Development, Clinical Development, Digital Solutions, Corporate Development, Technical Operations, Information Technology, Regulatory and Finance teams to ensure that appropriate, pragmatic and timely legal advice and services are provided throughout the organization;
- In partnership with key stakeholders, proactively refine and implement a comprehensive and global IP portfolio management, enforcement, defense and regulatory strategy that aligns with Lantheus’ corporate strategy and financial objectives;
- An ability to translate and present complicated IP and technical concepts to executives, in a way that facilitates strategic, risk‐ and cost‐based business decision‐making and action;
- An ability to connect highly technical scientific information to corporate strategy; and
- A member in good standing of at least one state bar with the ability to become a member of the Massachusetts
Lantheus is also looking for the right fit for its Legal team and the Company, which means the successful candidate must also have:
- The highest integrity and sound judgment;
- Sophisticated emotional intelligence, strong interpersonal skills, a collaborative style and an ability to exert “soft influence” and build appropriate consensus;
- An ability to manage differing opinions, ambiguity and conflict effectively;
- Confidence navigating in a highly regulated, IP‐dependent, public company environment;
- Exceptional reasoning skills and a creative, pragmatic, solution‐oriented and cross‐functional problem‐solving approach;
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills;
- Well‐developed drafting and project planning skills;
- A serious interest in developing and implementing cross‐functional process improvement initiatives;
- An ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- An astute resourcefulness with which to attack unfamiliar legal and regulatory frameworks and business problems efficiently and effectively;
- A proactive, entrepreneurial mindset and a willingness to “roll up your sleeves” to get the job done;
- A serious passion, curiosity, receptiveness and capacity to learn about the Company, the complex and evolving industry in which it operates, the underlying science of its products, and the sale, delivery and use of its products within the healthcare system;
- An ability to set and manage multiple, constantly‐changing, sometimes conflicting priorities in a dynamic, fast‐paced environment; and
- A dedication to the highest level of customer
- Competitive base salary, bonus and incentive equity commensurate with experience.
- Lantheus is an equal opportunity employer; diverse candidates are encouraged to apply. Interested candidates should email their resumes to Brian Morey, Director, Talent Acquisition (Brian.Morey@lantheus.com), or Ria Barrett, Director Human Resources (Ria.Barrett@lantheus.com).