Etsy is a global marketplace for unique and creative goods. Our mission is to "Keep Commerce Human" by connecting 2 million active sellers with almost 40 million active buyers through a marketplace of more than 60 million items lovingly crafted or curated by real people around the world. We have a dynamic, energized and experienced leadership team and Board, focused on delivering results and improving shareholder value. Etsy’s market cap is in excess of $6.7B, and we believe we’re in the early stages of our opportunity.
We are committed to using the power of business as a force for good in the world! Our Impact strategy outlines the specific ways we seek to generate positive economic, social, and ecological value for our community and our stakeholders, that advances and supports our long-term business strategy. We believe in cultivating a virtuous cycle where our impact drives our business and our business drives our impact. In 2019, for the first time, we filed an Integrated 2018 Annual Report, reporting on both our business/financial results, as well as our Impact metrics, because we believe that they together drive our long term value.
We are seeking an experienced corporate & securities attorney, with a sincere interest in our mission and strategy, to join the Etsy Legal Team. This person will be part of the Team’s senior leadership, report to the General Counsel, serve as the Assistant Secretary to the Board of Directors, and oversee all securities and public company governance matters. In addition, this position will advise on executive compensation matters.
Our Legal Team has a global practice, providing timely, strategic legal advice to a rapidly growing e-commerce marketplace in a complex commercial and regulatory terrain. We support Etsy’s growth by delivering business savvy legal counseling with a great work ethic.
The position is located in Brooklyn, NY.
About the Role
- First and foremost, the person in this role must rapidly understand our business, it’s risks and opportunities, and be able to advise the company and senior leadership on all aspects of the business with keen judgment and through a public company lens.
- You will be the in-house legal expert responsible for our public company reporting.
- Prepare and review Etsy’s SEC filings, including 10-Ks, 10-Qs, 8-Ks, proxy statements, S-8s and Section 16 filings, and ensure compliance with SEC and NASDAQ rules and regulations
- Oversee policies and procedures relating to securities law compliance and disclosure matters, including the administration of Etsy’s Insider Trading Policy
- Serve as Assistant Secretary, advising on and supporting Etsy’s corporate governance policies and matters, including reviewing/preparing Board and Committee agendas and materials, ensuring compliance with Board and Committee policies and charter documents, and drafting minutes
- Partner with the Investor Relations team on Regulation FD compliance oversight, investor engagement activities, and Etsy’s Annual Meeting.
- Review external communications, including press releases, investor presentations, and other announcements, and significant internal communications
- Advise on ISS/Glass Lewis voting policies
- Stay up-to-date and keep relevant teams advised on external governance trends, SEC and NASDAQ developments, and best practices in an evolving regulatory landscape
- Provide judgment and leadership in helping the Impact team report ESG Impact goals and results in an Integrated Annual Report
- Along with deep securities expertise, you have enough general corporate and business experience to troubleshoot a wide range of questions, identify risks and solutions, and provide mentoring to junior attorneys on an array of day-to-day in-house topics, beyond securities work.
- Partner with Etsy’s People team and have experience advising on Etsy’s executive compensation practices, including senior management agreements, stock plan administration, executive agreements, incentive bonus plans and programs, severance plans and guidelines, and any related public company disclosure considerations
- Collaborate with the Treasury and Accounting teams to ensure compliance with our credit facility and convertible notes. You understand accounting and corporate finance.
- Oversee the corporate secretarial function of our global subsidiaries
- Lead and support other projects from time to time, such as financing transactions
- Work closely with our internal audit, SOX, and compliance teams and advise on public company compliance matters
- Familiarity with SASB and integrated reporting is a plus
- M&A experience is a plus (but not required).
- We are a fast paced company and you will be expected to advise real-time in meetings, providing accurate guidance as well as pragmatic solutions.
- You have a JD and are admitted to a state bar (preferably NY or CA) and are qualified to work in-house in New York.
- At least 12-15 years of experience, with a mix of both law firm and in-house public company work.
- In-depth knowledge of corporate and securities law (particularly SEC/NASDAQ rules and regulations). Marketplace and consumer-facing company experience is a bonus. (Note: M&A/securities candidates without extensive experience managing public company reporting will not be the right fit for this role.)
- You have managed others before, you will manage a small team and acting as a mentor to all members of the Legal team. You excel in recruiting, leading and developing others.
- You are practical, proactive, financially literate, and results-oriented.
- You work cross-functionally and collaboratively across legal, human resources, finance, compliance, and business functions.
- You are a strong leader and demonstrate sound judgment.
- Effective communicator with executive presence -- verbally and in writing. You can speak to technical experts or business leaders, from junior engineers to the CEO, in plain English, without legal jargon.
- You should understand and be committed to Etsy’s business and mission as a global marketplace for creative entrepreneurs.
- You could work in many places, but you want to work at Etsy because you recognize that having the chance to contribute to impactful work and grow a company with a compelling mission is a rare opportunity.
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your CV or resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.