A Consumer Services Company seeks a talented, energetic, innovative and self‐motivated attorney with ~12-15 years of relevant legal experience to serve as Vice President, Associate General Counsel – Employment and Litigation. This position will report directly to the Senior Vice President, General Counsel & Corporate Secretary of A Consumer Services Company and will be the lead legal team member responsible for handling all HR and employment related matters pertaining to our business operations, as well as advising and overseeing employment and other litigation matters and disputes more generally. This role requires a person to possess a strong analytical mindset, coupled with a strong employment and litigation background. The ideal candidate will have a practical, business-oriented approach to problem-solving, tempered by an appreciation of legal complexity and risk.House Rules:
A successful candidate will also be energized and excited by our house rules. If you identify with our house rules we would welcome the opportunity to meet you!Obsess over our customers’ problems -
We wake up every day and obsess about how to remove the hassle out of our customers’ lives. We start with the customer and work backwards.Be an owner, not a renter -
We own our actions, and don’t make excuses or accept them. We’re good stewards of our energy and resources. We set high standards and hold ourselves and each other accountable.Be transparent, build trust -
Transparency builds trust, where strong teams and great ideas are born and freely shared. We treat others with respect and win together. We check egos at the door, and have no place for politics or personal agendas.Do great things every day -
We give our best and work with integrity and purpose. We believe a diversity of people, talent and ideas makes us stronger. We’re inquisitive and innovative, never satisfied with the status quo. We solve problems, make lives better, and enjoy what we do.Responsibilities include:
- Providing high quality legal advice and counsel in a timely fashion to the General Counsel, other legal team members and business partners on HR and employment issues pertaining to the operations and continued growth and expansion of our home service plan business and related businesses.
- Providing lead legal support to Human Resources regarding employment and labor-related matters, which may include employee relations issues, policy development, and employee benefit plan compliance.
- Assuring company compliance with federal, state and local labor and employment laws including the Fair Labor Standards Act, State and local wage and hour laws, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Occupational Safety and Health Act, the Family Medical Leave Act, Title VII, and ERISA.
- Overseeing and handling the company’s response in various dispute proceedings including federal and state litigation matters and administrative proceedings before the EEOC and state human rights agencies.
- Assisting as needed on labor and employment issues for the company’s international operations.
- Overseeing and managing the company’s response in various consumer and commercial disputes proceedings including federal and state litigation matters and AAA arbitrations.
- Identifying and analyzing legal issues, and effectively communicating sound, understandable legal recommendations to the appropriate business team members.
- Actively participating in a collaborative manner in cross-functional business teams to identify, evaluate, and resolve complex business issues and risks.
- Ensuring compliance with legal requirements and company policies generally applicable to the company’s business.
- Willingness to handle other projects and matters as may be assigned from time to time.
- Working with and supervising outside counsel on various legal matters as appropriate.
- J.D possessing significant employment and litigation expertise, with ~12-15 years of relevant experience within a law firm and/or in-house legal department;
- Expertise operating in a complex regulatory environment and/or an innovative or rapidly-growing company or similar business venture, is strongly preferred;
- Top academic record and large firm experience strongly preferred;
- Experience with supporting a home service plan business or customer service operations is a strong plus;
- Strong business acumen;
- Creative problem solver with customer focus and “can do” attitude;
- Self-starter who will initiate projects and anticipate needs before they become critical;
- Ability to multi-task with a sense of urgency and ability to meet deadlines within a changing, fast‐paced environment;
- Strategic thinker with a solutions orientation;
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills;
- Proven history of developing cross‐functional relationships with all levels of an organization and functional expertise;
- Able to easily build rapport and the gain the confidence and respect of peers and senior leaders;
- Demonstrated ability to handle difficult issues in a professional, assertive and proactive manner; and
- Good standing in a state bar with the ability to join the Tennessee bar as in-house counsel.
Remote, but willingness to travel to business locations required when safe to do so.Compensation:
Competitive compensation package.
A Consumer Services Company is a company that’s obsessed with taking the hassle out of owning a home. With services powered by people and enabled by technology, it is the parent company of four home service plan brands: American Home Shield, HSA, Landmark and OneGuard, as well as AHS Proconnect , an on-demand membership service for home repairs and maintenance, and Streem, a technology company that enables businesses to serve customers through an enhanced augmented reality, computer vision and machine learning platform. A Consumer Services Company serves more than two million customers across the U.S. through a network of more than 16,000 pre-qualified contractor firms that employ over 45,000 technicians. The company’s customizable home service plans help customers protect and maintain their homes from costly and unexpected breakdowns of essential home systems and appliances. With nearly 50 years of experience, the company responds to over four million service requests annually (or one request every eight seconds).For more details, visit frontdoorhome.com.