JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $3.7 trillion and operations worldwide. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers and small business, commercial banking, financial transaction processing and asset management. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, JPMorgan Chase & Co. serves millions of customers in the United States and many of the world’s most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under its J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Information about JPMorgan Chase & Co. is available at www.jpmorganchase.com.
The Commercial Banking Legal team is seeking an attorney experienced in commercial financing matters to join the team as a lawyer supporting Middle Market Banking and Specialized Industries (“MMBSI”). The position will be based in Plano, TX or Chicago, IL.
MMBSI is a part of the Commercial Banking line of business of JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., a subsidiary of JPMorgan Chase & Co. MMBSI serves business, municipal and not-for-profit clients with annual revenue of $20 million to $500 million. MMBSI provides credit, cash management, capital markets and corporate finance advisory solutions to its clients via Core Banking and Specialized Industries teams.
- Counsel bankers on structuring and documenting a variety of credit and banking transactions.
- Provide transactional support, including the review, negotiation and drafting of credit and collateral documentation, confidentiality agreements, indicative term sheets and other proposals, commitment letters, amendments and waivers.
- Advise, in conjunction with Special Credits Legal, on troubled credit situations, waivers, amendments and forbearance agreements.
- Identify and mitigate risks (legal, operational, reputational and other).
- Review and guide clients on reputational risk issues, in standard and high risk industries.
- Participate in cross line of business projects on a variety of subjects, including the drafting of policies and procedures on new regulations and amendments or new interpretations to existing regulations.
- Provide legal interpretations of regulations and guidance on their applicability to Middle Market Banking (such as, Know-Your-Customer, OFAC and anti-money laundering compliance; banking regulatory compliance such as anti-tying; Reg. B, Reg. U, conflicts of interest, information-sharing, confidentiality and privacy).
- Counsel Wholesale Lending Services staff on documenting, booking and servicing of loans and on forms, policies, procedures and job aids.
- Advise, in conjunction with Wholesale Payments Legal and CB Products Legal, on the negotiation and exception approval of deposit and cash management documentation.
- Review and advise on proposed new or modified products, businesses, technology, processes, practices and procedures, and identify any legal and regulatory issues.
- Prepare and update standard commercial loan documentation and procedures.
- Provide training for underwriters, bankers, analysts, associates, operational staff, and customer support staff on legal issues.
- Manage outside counsel.
- Juris Doctor degree with at least 5 years of relevant commercial finance transactional legal experience at a law firm and/or in-house legal department at a large bank or other financial services company.
- Attorney must be licensed to practice law and a member in good standing in the jurisdiction where the role will be located prior to commencement of employment or otherwise in compliance with the in-house counsel registration rules of such jurisdiction.
- The strategic vision to anticipate legal issues for different businesses and business models.
- The ability to prioritize work, manage a large number of issues at one time, and interact with senior and executive management.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Knowledge of the legal and regulatory requirements for commercial banking businesses is required.
- Collegial; able to build and maintain good relationships with clients and colleagues.
- Demonstrated problem solving and project management skills, judgment and character.
- All candidates for roles in the Legal department must successfully complete a conflicts of interest clearance review prior to commencement of employment.