JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.6 trillion and operations worldwide. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, asset management, and private equity. The Legal Department of JPMorgan Chase & Co is responsible for providing legal services to the Corporation and is organized by Practice Groups that generally conform to the Corporation's lines of business (“LOBs”) and corporate staff areas. This structure facilitates the communication of legal and regulatory changes by the legal team to the businesses and the communication by the LOBs of business developments to the legal teams in a timely manner.
Position available for an experienced attorney in the JPMorgan Asset Management Alternatives Legal group to support the Global Real Estate, Infrastructure and Transportation Groups within JPMorgan Asset Management - Alternatives. With current AUM of approximately $140 billion, the JPMorgan Asset Management - Alternatives business manages strategies across the alternative investment spectrum, including real estate, private equity and credit, infrastructure, transportation, liquid alternatives and hedge funds. It is an opportunity to work with an exciting, demanding and growth business.
The individual will be responsible for providing day-to-day legal coverage to the businesses referenced above. This will include both the creation of new funds and the maintenance of existing funds. The individual should have open-end and closed-end private fund expertise and in-depth knowledge of investment management legal issues, including pertinent regulations and guidance on investment advisory issues. The individual should have excellent interpersonal skills in order to participate in business committees and work with personnel from all areas of the business including, product strategy and development, treasury, marketing, risk, compliance and portfolio management. Strong writing and organizational skills are also critical.Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide legal support for the real assets business in the United States and Europe, including the Global Real Estate, Global Infrastructure and Global Transportation groups.
- Provide legal support and advice across private funds, segregated account mandates, funds-of-one, carried interest vehicles and other products that relate to these asset classes.
- Advise the business on a wide range of legal issues relevant to the formation and maintenance of fund products, including negotiation of side letters, legal and regulatory matters as they relate to funds and separately managed accounts, as well as transactional work for such products.
- Work closely with other members of the Legal Department and other control functions (e.g., Compliance, Risk) both within the U.S. and globally to identify and resolve issues.
- Coordinate as needed with other divisions of Asset & Wealth Management.
- Provide legal support for special projects and cross-alternatives initiatives.
- Perform all other duties as necessary or assigned to provide high caliber line of business legal support.
- JD Degree.
- 7+ years of relevant law firm, financial institution or comparable experience. Knowledge of investment management legal issues, including pertinent regulations and guidance on investment advisory issues, required.
- Candidate must be a member in good standing of the Illinois bar.
- Knowledge of relevant laws (e.g. Investment Advisers Act, Investment Company Act, AIFMD, etc.) required, and an understanding of ERISA and the Bank Holding Company Act strongly preferred.
- Excellent document drafting skills required.
- Excellent judgment.
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to be a proactive, dynamic member of a team.
- Familiarity/experience with asset management business preferred.