The Vice President, Legal will report directly to the Senior Vice President and Chief Legal Officer and will provide legal services to the entire company. The Vice President, Legal will work efficiently and collaboratively with in-house marketing, sales, and operational personnel, primarily by providing counsel on matters relating to compliance, contracts, regulatory matters (FDA) involving cosmetics and hair care products and other general legal matters affecting the Company. Working with the Chief Legal Officer, The Vice President, Legal will also provide legal services to MONAT’s parent company, manufacturing affiliate and Canadian, UK, Irish and Polish affiliates.
- Principal responsibility will be assisting the Chief Legal Officer in advising the business on all legal issues faced by a dynamic, growing company that operates in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment. You must be comfortable multi-tasking and handling a vast range of legal matters to help drive business growth. This is presently a small Legal Department, so the Director, Legal Affairs must be passionate, friendly, poised, able to hit the ground running and be a team player who enjoys working with great people to accomplish incredible things. You will be called upon to contribute as needed in a variety of areas, including, without limitation:
- Working with the Compliance Department to address issues with a large network of direct selling independent distributors in the direct selling industry across three countries.
- Providing advice to internal clients regarding proposed transactions and strategic initiatives, interpretation of relevant statutes and current contracts, corporate and commercial law and business issues arising in conjunction with MONAT’s business relationships.
- Supporting litigation efforts related to commercial matters.
- Exercising cross-departmental leadership and excellent interpersonal skills for the purpose of building trusted relationships between Legal and its internal clients.
- Assisting with label review, FDA issues, and regulatory matters in Canada and the UK.
- Creating and maintaining templates and processes that are effective and efficient.
No direct reports initially. Influencing and cross-matrix working skills are essential to assign and supervise the effective completion of tasks with project teams and individuals that report directly to other supervisors.
- Education: Law degree from a top-ranked U.S. law school, admission to the bar of at least one state, and willingness to be admitted to local state bar.
- Prior Experience: 10-15 years of directly related legal experience, at a major law firm and in-house. In-house experience with a direct sales or personal products company is a huge plus.
- Marketing and Advertising Skills: Experience advising businesses on legal issues relating to marketing and advertising cosmetics and personal care products to consumers and independent distributors.
- Commercial Skills: Experience in drafting and negotiating contracts in a variety of areas, such as vendor agreements; intellectual property, and data and IT licenses and agreements; leases; event and hospitality agreements; and confidentiality agreements.
- Analytical Skills: Demonstrated ability to analyze complex contract interpretation questions and applicability of relevant law, demonstrated ability to present through oral and written communications the outcome of this analysis, both when explaining complex legal concepts to MONAT’s internal departmental customers; and when negotiating on behalf of the company.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrated ability to lead and manage across departmental lines on behalf of the Legal Department and MONAT in order to bring projects to closure and help drive business objects to completion.
- Independently motivated but thrives in a team environment. Sense of humor and ability to lead without taking yourself too seriously.
- Servant Leadership management philosophy and mentoring skills are a huge plus.