The Underwriting Counsel provides underwriting support and expertise to company personnel, agents, and customer(s), related to the issuance of real estate title insurance commitments and policies. This role utilizes underwriting standards and guidelines within delegated authority limits, to underwrite the issuance of title insurance and provide guidance in the performance of real estate settlement services.Essential Job Functions:Legal:
- Acts in the most senior capacity for a Region providing leadership and guidance for the region.
- Develops and maintains effective business relationships with assigned agents and brokers as well as internal and other external clients in order to attract, develop and retain profitable business for the Region.
- Provides underwriting support, counsel, and authorization to company personnel, agents, and customer(s), related to the issuance of real estate title insurance commitments and policies.
- Reviews and approves draft underwriting standards and guidelines from subordinates, in accordance with established company processes.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Responsible for communicating information related to underwriting and real estate settlement services from superiors to subordinates.
- Serve on state associations when called upon to do so.
- Participates with divisional underwriting staff in underwriting initiatives around product development.
- Analyzes key metrics of underwriters to identify areas of improvement and development opportunities.
- Engage in WFG company culture that emphasizes engagement in our 4 Cs, quality of work and high performance.
- Demonstrated practical experience with concepts, practices and procedures of real estate title and settlement process.
- Strong knowledge of Federal and State regulations related to real estate title insurance and settlement services.
- Ability to lead others in effectively implementing programs and projects
- Business acumen, strategic ability, ability to develop others and influence change.
- Exercises confidence, sound judgment and decision making
- Ability to diagnose and analyze problems, identifies and drives appropriate solutions, and achieve desired results.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and work under pressure.
- Requires abstract thinking and creative solutions.
- Ability to ‘think outside the box’ and make unique yet sound decisions to resolve complex issues.
- Law Degree required.
- Admitted to practice in state within region.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to build relationships and create rapport with employees, partners and customers both verbally and in writing.
- Adaptability to learn quickly, multi-task, and retain information specific to the business domain.
- Must successfully pass a criminal history background check.
Experience creating and presenting educational and underwriting materials for employees and agents.Supervisory Responsibility:
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.Work Environment:
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.Physical Requirements/ADA
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
- No unusual physical requirements. Requires no heavy lifting, and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
- Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; travel or other inconveniences have advance notice; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
- Job frequently requires sitting, handling objects with hands.
- Job occasionally requires standing, walking, reaching, talking, hearing, and lifting up to 10 lbs.
- Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Days and hours of full –time position are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Part-time positions may be considered.Travel:
Regional travel is expected for this position.