As Estate Planning attorney, responsible for promoting and growing the use of JTC services by providing reviews of client estate plans, and identification of issues and opportunities for planning, and attracting new client relationships by presenting JTC’s services to prospective clients.
As Trust Counsel, responsible for providing legal counsel for the trust administration services provided by the trust company; legal analysis/advice regarding trust set-up, asset acquisition, and asset protection issues.
- Promote the use of JTC services by existing JIC clients and potential clients, by providing estate and charitable gift planning.
- Serve as in-house estate planning resource for staff and clients, including client education, review and summary of client estate planning documents, formulation of estate planning strategies, preparation of calculations, illustrations and presentation materials.
- With other estate planning team members, develop relationships with portfolio managers and their staff in order to help them problem solve and develop solutions to meet their clients’ needs while minimizing risk to the firm.
- Work with Senior Trust Counsel in analyzing and addressing legal risks within trust administration.
- Work with Senior Trust Counsel in providing legal counsel to trust staff regarding tax law, trust law, estate and probate administration, trust set-up, asset acquisition and asset protection.
- Serve as member of Trust Administration Committee.
- Responsible, along with Senior Trust Counsel, for 60-day reviews of JFOS trust accounts.
- With Trust Counsel team members, provide counsel for JIC/compliance.
Competencies (Examples Only)
- Teamwork. ...
- Responsibility. ...
- Decision Making. ...
- Communication. ...
- Leadership. ...
- Trustworthiness & Ethics. ...
- Results Orientation.
Temperature controlled, office environment
Must be able to stand or sit at computer for 8+ hours per day. May require extensive typing at times.
Travel may periodically be required to JIC offices in other markets for appropriate client meetings and for marketing opportunities.
Required education and experience
- Detailed knowledge of income, gift and estate taxes; estate planning techniques; and trust law.
- Working knowledge of basic principles of investment advisory services and financial planning.
- At least 5-10 years experience in private practice (estate planning and trust/estate administration) or equivalent.
- Strong client focus.
- Ability to work and thrive in a team environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and work independently.
- Organized and detail-oriented.
- Law degree required.
Preferred education and experience
Additional eligibility requirements
Work authorization/security clearance requirements
United States Citizen or lawful permanent resident
As an equal opportunity employer, Johnson Investment Counsel, Inc. does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran/ military status, or any other protected status as required by law.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.