Responsible for the competent, ethical, and diligent representation of clients in all cases assigned by supervisor. Cases can involve all areas of tort practice. Responsible for handling matters of moderate to great complexity and/or exposure, and may assist in the handling of cases assigned to other attorneys.Essential Job Functions:
- Handles cases with unique legal or procedural issues involving moderate to severe injuries and/or damages, including preparation of pleadings, motions, discovery, and briefs, attendance at hearings, conferences, interviews, trials or arbitrations, and performance of any other tasks or duties necessary for the proper representation of clients.
- May also assist other attorneys in such cases as assigned.
- Functionally supervises attorneys who have been requested to assist the Trial Attorney in the handling of particular cases.
- Consults with and renders opinions to members of the Claims Departments regarding insurance policy questions and questions concerning the legal aspects of the handling of personal injury claims.
- Keeps supervisor informed of the work being done for clients and of any and all problems encountered.
- Maintains and updates computerized litigation support systems for assigned caseloads.
- Performs other functions as assigned.
Besides sedentary work, job duties require some or all of the following physical activities: Carrying and lifting up to 25 pounds, hearing, seeing, standing and walking (including up and down stairs and steps).Physical Environment:
Required job duties are normally performed in a climate-controlled office environment, with some exposure to uncontrollable outside environmental conditions and travel via automobile and/or commercial transportation.Education Requirements:
High school diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree required. Law school degree, and member in good standing of the State Bar in the state in which position is located.Experience Requirements:
At least three years as an Attorney including civil jury trial experience or equivalent dispositive ADR experience or comparable outside experience. Must be capable of handling cases of moderate to great exposure and/or complexity with minimum supervision.Special Skill Requirement:
Public speaking, ability to function and handle high case loads in adversarial or confrontational situations, driving.