Wawanesa Mutual Insurance is one of the largest property and casualty insurers in Canada with $3 billion in annual revenues and assets of more than $9 billion. Wawanesa Mutual, founded in 1896 with executive offices in Winnipeg, is the parent company of Wawanesa General, which offers property and casualty insurance in California and Oregon, and Wawanesa Life, which distributes life insurance products and services throughout Canada. With over 3,500 employees, Wawanesa proudly serves over two million policyholders through nine regional offices and 41 service offices in Canada and the United States. Wawanesa actively gives back to organizations that strengthen communities where it operates, donating well above internationally recognized benchmarks for excellence in corporate philanthropy.
We are currently looking for dedicated, driven, and enthusiastic individuals who thrive in an environment that welcomes change and are looking for an opportunity for diverse experience, advancement on a growing team.Job Overview:
The Trial Attorney I, Staff Counsel will work to defend Wawanesa customers in low-to-moderate complexity and/or risk bodily injury and property damage liability lawsuits. This role will report to the Supervising Trial Attorney, Staff Counsel out of the Long Beach, California office.Job Responsibilities:
- With minimal supervision, completes all tasks necessary to prepare low-to-moderate complexity and/or risk bodily injury and property damage liability lawsuits against Wawanesa insureds for mediation, pre-trial, trial and post-trial resolution.
- May assist more experienced attorneys on portions of higher complexity matters.
- Prepares and handles pleadings, motions, discovery, depositions and any other tasks or duties necessary for the proper representation of Wawanesa insureds.
- Recognizes, promotes, and effectively negotiates settlement opportunities, including all aspects of liability and damages.
- Reviews and evaluates assigned cases in accordance with Wawanesa’s Staff Counsel policies and procedures. Works with Wawanesa’s insured and Claims Department to establish, communicate and implement team litigation objectives and obtain prompt resolution of claims.
- Juris Doctorate degree and member in good standing of the California Bar.
- More than 3 years of insurance defense litigation experience and demonstrated sufficient case handling in cases of low-to-moderate severity, complexity and/or risk.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills are key to working with a variety of internal and external contacts as well as for preparing reports, pleadings, and correspondence, collaborating with others, etc. This role will be expected to work independently as well as part of a cohesive team.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office and WestLaw.
- Excellent communication skills, including ability to communicate in a professional manner in person, via telephone and written correspondence/email.
- Strong organization, priority-settling and multi-tasking skills.
- Strong legal research skills.
- Position requires the ability to lift up to 5 lbs on a daily basis.
- Position requires the ability to travel up to 15% of the time.