NYLAG has an immediate opening for a temporary staff attorney for its Legal Clinic for Pro Se Litigants in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York (SDNY). This Clinic provides free, individual legal assistance to non-prisoner, pro se litigants in the SDNY. This innovative clinic is among the first in the nation to provide pro se assistance in federal court.
The temporary staff attorney will be an integral part of a Clinic team consisting of one supervising attorney, two staff attorneys, and two paralegals, with offices in the SDNY at 40 Foley Square in Manhattan.
This attorney will provide direct legal assistance to the Clinic’s litigants. Direct legal assistance work will include: counseling on filing cases in federal court, including regarding jurisdictional issues; substantive and procedural legal advice on questions that may arise at any stage of litigation; review with pro se litigants of court orders, opposition pleadings, discovery processes, and court rules and procedures; pro se assistance on motion practice, discovery, and litigation strategy; assistance with deposition preparation, and with preparation for pretrial conferences, hearings, settlement conferences, mediations, and other court appearances; referrals to other agencies and organizations, including for pro bono assistance, to other legal services organizations, and to mental health agencies. Substantive legal areas of litigation will include civil rights, employment discrimination, social security appeals, and mortgage foreclosure, and other matters.
Founded in 1990, the New York Legal Assistance Group provides high quality, free civil legal services to low-income New Yorkers who cannot afford attorneys. Our comprehensive range of services includes direct representation, case consultation, advocacy, community education, training, financial counseling, and impact litigation.Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Staff the SDNY Pro Se Clinic.
- Work closely with the Clinic staff and volunteers.
- Provide direct legal assistance to Clinic clients at the Clinic courthouse office.
- Work with courthouse staff who serve pro se litigants.
- Assist with quality data recording and reporting.
- Any other duties and responsibilities related to Clinic operations.
- Admission in the Southern District of New York, preferred
- New York State Bar admission required
- Experience providing direct legal services to a diverse population required.
- Experience in federal litigation preferred, especially employment and civil rights law.
- Fluency in Spanish preferred.
- Excellent research and communication skills.
- Sensitivity to different backgrounds, cultures, and personal situations.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
Temporary; This position will end on July 31, 2021.