Sorry! This position is no longer available!
The Human Trafficking Institute exists to decimate human trafficking at its source by empowering police and prosecutors to stop traffickers. Working inside criminal justice systems, the Institute provides the embedded experts, world-class training, investigative resources, and evidence-based research necessary to free victims.
The Legal Intern will perform research, writing, and management duties to support the Institute’s Legal Team. Projects will include writing articles on complex issues impacting human trafficking law, tracking federal appellate decisions in human trafficking cases, managing the Institute’s Amicus Project, and supporting the development and publication of the 2020 Federal Human Trafficking Report.
The Legal Intern position requires a 40 hour per week commitment, for summer 2021 beginning in May and ending in August. In the event that it should become safe (pending COVID-19 developments) the Legal Intern should be available to work out of the Institute’s office in Fairfax, Virginia, near the Dunn Loring-Merrifield Metro Station. The Legal Intern will report directly to the Associate Legal Counsel.
- Research and write articles and memos on legal issues impacting human trafficking law in the United States as well as comparative law.
- Maintain a database on recent federal appellate case law in the area of human trafficking.
- Track amicus curiae opportunities and file briefs in federal circuit court cases dealing with human trafficking issues.
- Build and maintain a database of judges and attorneys with active human trafficking cases.
- Participate in detailed review process of completed data entries in Federal Human Trafficking database.
Skills and Experience
- Must be a rising 2 or 3L, or an LLM student
- Strong legal research and writing ability
- Meticulous attention to detail; strong time management and organizational skills
- Ability to efficiently and independently produce a professional work product
- Proactive and innovative problem solver
- Team player with a sustained positive attitude
- Prior experience with Pacer and WestLaw preferred
Closing Date: 10th January, 2021