Under the supervision of the Immigration Legal Services Directing Attorney, the Staff Attorney will provide immigration legal representation in a high-volume varied immigration legal practice, which includes family based petitions, motions, waivers, TPS, Asylum, VAWA, U Visas, T Visas, Naturalization, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, and other related services. Responsibilities include representing immigrants for all available remedies in immigration court, and coordinating with other staff attorneys. The Staff Attorney may also supervise volunteer attorneys and paralegals, case managers, and clerical staff.Essential Functions of the Job:
- Provide legal representation to qualified clients of the unit, mainly unaccompanied minors and other disadvantaged groups.
- Represent immigrants in immigration court with asylum, cancellation, adjustment of status or any other applicable remedy.
- Represent minors in probate court, dependency court or family court to obtain predicate orders supporting SIJS.
- Under supervision of the Directing Attorney, may supervise other staff as assigned.
- Provide in-office consultation for clients including asylum, U-visa, T-visa, VAWA, SIJS, detention and removal relief and any other applicable relief.
- Prepare and file supporting documentation for court cases.
- Research and write motions and briefs related to court cases, including legal research and writing for asylum cases.
- Maintain client databases, case notes, and files for caseload as determined with the Directing Attorney.
- Conduct community outreach to clients regarding available remedies under the Immigration Law.
- Keep accurate records and maintain confidentiality.
- Performs other duties assigned by the Directing Attorney.
- Juris Doctor Degree required and membership in California State bar. We will consider exceptional candidates waiting for bar results.
- Prior knowledge of immigration law, or relevant experience in immigration or family law.
- Strong case management, legal research and legal writing skills.
- Prior experience working within a non-profit environment preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment and experience in public interest law.
- Passion for social justice for immigrants required.
- Bilingual fluency in English and Spanish, or other needed languages.
The salary range for the Staff Attorney I position is $53,000-65,000/year.
We offer an excellent benefit package, which includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Basic Life and AD&D, Voluntary Life, Accident and Critical Illness insurance options along with a generous Paid Time Off program, 10 Paid Holidays and a 401 (k) retirement plan with a generous Safe Harbor Match and an annual profit sharing contribution (vesting applies).
The selected employee must be able to meet the following physical demands:
- Performing physical activities that require the incumbent to stand or walk most of the time with bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, and reaching.
- Activities often also require considerable use of arms and legs, such as in the physical handling of materials; including lifting of objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to work in an environment with constant noise and flexibility to respond quickly to frequent movements.
- Abilities required by the job include near and distance vision, talking and hearing.