KIND seeks a Staff Attorney to be responsible for providing expert legal services to unaccompanied children facing removal proceedings primarily through zealous direct representation as well as pro bono facilitation, including robust consultation, training, and technical assistance to pro bono attorneys who have accepted a KIND case
- Provide primarily zealous legal advocacy to KIND’s clients in direct representation cases. Additionally, provide robust consultation and technical assistance to pro bono attorneys who have accepted a KIND case as well as providing. The majority of caseload is direct representation cases.
- Perform ordinary functions of legal counsel providing direct representation, including legal research and formulating the legal strategy for the case; conducting client interviews; appearing before immigration and/or state court or agencies; and drafting and filing court pleadings and applications for benefits
- Place cases with pro bono attorneys and build relationships between KIND and the pro bono community
- Assist, as needed, in developing pro bono training resources and local training curriculum in coordination with KIND’s Training and Technical Assistance team and the local field office Senior Attorneys, including sample filings and guidance packets; present trainings to pro bono attorneys and community groups with management supervision
- Ensure entry of timely, accurate, and detailed case data into KIND’s case management systems
- Contribute to overall office functioning, including joining field office and KIND-wide calls and meetings, participating in field office and KIND-wide committees, and assisting with office events
- Supervise, as needed, Senior Paralegals, Paralegals, interns, and/or other non-legal staff including onboarding, skills training, daily support and coaching, review and quality assurance of filings, regular check-ins and performance evaluations, and provision of consistent and effective supervision and oversight
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Juris doctor and admission to the Texas state bar.
- Fluency in Spanish (oral and written) required.
- At least one (1) year of experience practicing immigration law, including representation of clients in humanitarian immigration claims such as asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, U visas and T visas.
- AT least one (1) year of experience working with children, preferably immigrant and refugee children, or experience working with vulnerable populations, survivors of abuse, human trafficking, or other trauma.
- A minimum of one (1) years of experience working with law firm attorneys and/or other legal volunteers required if majority of caseload is working directly with pro bono attorneys
- Strong record of cultural competence and cross-cultural communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and persuasively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to take initiative, multi-task, and work independently.
- Excellent professional judgment.
- Ability to travel as assigned.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
Ability to work within an office environment and have regular interaction via telephone, teleconference, IM, and email with KIND's team.