Sorry! This position is no longer available!
Mobilization for Justice (formerly MFY Legal Services), a non-profit legal services organization that provides a wide range of free civil legal services to low-income New Yorkers, is seeking a staff attorney to work with Mobilization for Justice’s Immigration Law Project. The candidate will provide a wide-range of legal services for low-income New Yorkers, including assisting immigrants who are seeking citizenship, adjustment of status, replacement of lost or expired green cards, asylum, special immigrant juvenile status, and other benefits.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting client interviews in person, on the telephone, and at community-based organizations, sometimes in the evenings;
- Providing advice, counsel, and brief services;
- Assisting individuals in completing relevant applications and forms;
- Advocating for clients with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the Executive Office of Immigration Review (EOIR), the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA), and other government offices;
- Representing clients at interviews at USCIS offices;
- Representing clients before the Immigration Courts;
- Conducting community outreach and education;
- Creating and updating community educational and training materials;
- Legislative advocacy and lobbying on issues of importance to immigrants;
- Working in coalition with advocacy groups on policy issues;
- Providing testimony on proposed legislation or other legislative body topics; and
- Inputting and maintaining records in our case management system.
- Admission to NYS Bar;
- Well-organized and capable of managing a diverse caseload;
- At least one year of experience working in immigration law;
- Experience working in government benefits law;
- Excellent research, writing, and communication skills;
- Willingness to see clients, conduct clinics, and trainings throughout the five boroughs of New York City, sometimes in the evening;
- Ability to work collaboratively yet independently; and
- Fluency in Spanish, French, Arabic, or a Chinese Dialect.
Salary is pursuant to a collective bargaining agreement with excellent fringe benefits.
Closing Date: 23rd October, 2019