For more than 50 years, Legal Services of the Hudson Valley (LSHV) has been providing free, high-quality legal counsel in civil matters when basic human needs are at stake including: eviction and foreclosure prevention, domestic violence, disability, elder law, healthcare, consumer fraud and more. Our services support almost 600,000 poor and low-income families and individuals who cannot afford an attorney in our seven-county service area. With the gap separating those who can and cannot afford legal representation widening each day, we work to ensure that everyone has equal access to justice, regardless of their ability to pay. As the only provider of comprehensive civil legal services in the lower and mid-Hudson Valley (Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, Rockland, Orange, Ulster and Sullivan), LSHV is proud to have handled almost 15,000 cases impacting more than 34,000 household members including 13,000 children last year. LSHV has ten offices, a staff of 165, including 100 attorneys and 35 paralegals.
Legal Services of the Hudson Valley (LSHV) has an immediate opening in our Kingston, NY office for a staff attorney to work on matters related to foreclosure prevention in Ulster and Dutchess Counties, and other counties as program needs require. These matters include foreclosure, bankruptcy, and matters related to foreclosure, e.g., probate and administration matters.
Duties of the Position: The duties include intake and individual case work, litigation in state and federal courts, including appellate practice, and education and outreach efforts directed at community members and service providers. The person hired will also be expected to adhere to program and case handling standards, funder requirements, the highest professional standards, and be available as a resource to LSHV staff and access to justice communities.
- Member in good standing of the New York State Bar;
- Three or more years of legal experience, including litigation, or its equivalent;
- Understanding of the nature and dynamics of housing and benefits;
- Excellent people skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse group of stakeholders;
- Driver’s license and access to vehicle for court appearances and occasional home visits; and
- Ability to work some outreach events on nights and weekends.
- Demonstrated commitment to serving persons who cannot afford an attorney with prior experience in legal services or similar program preferred;
- English/Spanish bilingual preferred.
- Salary: Competitive union scale, with excellent benefits.
Legal Services of the Hudson Valley is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that celebrates our employees’ differences. Applicants of diverse race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability and veteran status, are strongly encouraged to apply. Our differences make us better.