Liberty Mutual’s Insurance Defense Attorneys represent the Company and its policyholders in civil litigation matters involving claims for money damages or compensation for personal injury or property damage of a moderate to high value with moderate to highly complex legal issues.
We are seeking a Special Investigations Unit (SIU) Coordinating attorney with extensive experience in SIU/fraud matters for our in-house counsel office in Southfield, MI. This is a tremendous opportunity for the right candidate who is interested in both defending and pursuing civil fraud cases and working for a major insurance company with a great working environment, annual performance bonuses, alternate work environment, and a great benefits package.
Jurisdiction: Metro Detroit and greater MI.
Travel: Daily travel to conduct EUO’s and to courthouses in the metro Detroit area for appearances in litigated matters including motion practice, preliminary/compliance conferences and trials.
- Provides MI SIU strategy consulting, mentoring and large case logistic input to Claims and Legal SIU staff. Guide SIU Claims and Legal teams in case development on defense and civil prosecution files.
- Uses Litigation Protocols to develop and revise appropriate legal strategy for discovery, investigation, handling and trial/hearing of cases or matters; advises, communicates and develops those strategies with Liberty Mutual’s Claims Representatives.
- Understands and creatively uses technology; applies technology to the process of law to improve quality and reduce cost. Possesses the skills necessary to use technology to work remotely. Capable of working with office staff who are remotely located.
- Conducts necessary and appropriate discovery, hearings, trials, depositions, oral arguments, mediations, arbitrations and similar proceedings. Researches the law applicable to cases or matters; drafts legal documents, pleadings, motions, briefs and opinions as required. If requested, conducts settlement negotiations.
- Advises, communicates and confers with Claims Representatives rendering clear, unambiguous legal opinions and advice. Personally meets with and maintains good relations and communications with Claims Representatives as required.
- Remains current with developments in the law; understands medical, scientific, construction, products, engineering or similar issues and defenses involved with cases or matters.
- Prepares and conducts training sessions for the Legal, Claims or other departments as required.
- Completion of law school with LLB or JD and admission to the bar. Special license to practice before a particular board or federal court may be necessary.
- A minimum of 6 successful years’ experience as a MI SIU attorney; experience as an attorney handling SIU and fraud investigations required; experience as an assistant district attorney is also a consideration for the position.
- The individual is required to have a general knowledge of MI insurance law and specific understanding of the operations and requirements of insured clients, customers and Liberty Mutual.
- The ability to effectively communicate and persuade by printed or spoken word is critical.
- Experience and ability appropriate to the level of cases or matters handled.
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to positive change. In return for your service, it’s our privilege to offer you benefits and rewards that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits