About the Role
As Confluent’s Senior Managing Counsel - Privacy and Compliance, you will drive the development, implementation, and assessments of company-wide privacy and compliance programs, policies and procedures. You will also provide strategic advice to senior leaders across the organization on privacy and other regulatory requirements while supporting commercial transactions and product innovation.
In the legal department, we are passionate about enabling customer success, while building a strong foundation for the future. We strive to provide thoughtful and pragmatic counsel and to minimize risks as we pursue business opportunities. We thrive by working together to solve complex challenges, supporting and learning from each other, and having fun!
To be successful in this role you must have deep familiarity with the relevant legal and regulatory landscape for innovative, hyper-growth, global tech companies. You must also have experience in developing strong privacy and compliance programs, and building teams.
What you'll do
- Build a strategic and comprehensive privacy and compliance program to ensure the privacy of protected information and compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- Develop, maintain and review policies and procedures to help prevent illegal, unethical or improper conduct
- Develop and maintain knowledge of current and proposed laws and regulations applicable to the business worldwide, including GDPR, CCPA, OFAC, FCPA, AML, HSR, and export control laws
- Perform and facilitate privacy and compliance risk assessments/audits and identify areas of compliance vulnerability and risk
- Develop and implement corrective action plans to mitigate and remediate risks
- Prepare reports for senior leadership and the Audit Committee on privacy and compliance programs, risks, and remediation plans
- Assess the sufficiency of compliance program design and operationalization, and facilitate external reviews
- Promote privacy by design in the development of our products
- Partner with our commercial legal team to provide privacy-related support for inbound and outbound commercial agreements
- Collaborate cross-functionally on compliance programs managed outside the legal department, and partner with the information security officer (CISO) to ensure alignment between security and privacy compliance programs
- Promote privacy and compliance efforts and initiatives at Confluent, and develop and facilitate effective privacy and compliance-related training
- Establish and administer a process for investigating and acting on privacy and security complaints
- Provide legal support for privacy and security incidents, government engagements, law enforcement demands, and internal investigations
What we're looking for
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience as an in-house attorney advising on privacy, data protection, and compliance issues for high-growth global technology companies
- Experience building privacy and compliance programs and teams
- Strong understanding of software technology and cloud services, associated business models, and technology industry trends, and government security standards such as FedRAMP
- Strong knowledge of GDPR, CCPA, OFAC, FCPA, AML, HSR, and export control laws and understanding of other laws applicable to the company
- Excellent legal and business judgment with the ability to assess and communicate risks to business partners in a clear and actionable way
- Active membership in good standing in at least one state bar (California preferred)
- CIPP certification a plus
- High level of integrity, team orientation, and treating others with respectPeople who are smart, humble and empathetic, and who enjoy working as one team to get things done!
When you Apply, don't forget to mention that you found this job on Attorneyjobsinusa.com.