About this opportunity
TC Transcontinental’s Legal Team has an exciting new opportunity for a Senior Legal Counsel. This position will support our Packaging Sector and will be based at our Packaging headquarters in Chicago, close to O’Hare Airport. As a member of TC Transcontinental’s Legal Team, this position will report to the Company’s Chief Legal Officer based at TC Transcontinental’s global corporate headquarters in Montreal, Quebec.
This position will be responsible for the preparation, review, negotiation, and closing of a wide variety of commercial agreements for our Packaging Sector. This position will advise multiple TC Packaging business teams (Sales, Finance, Pricing and Procurement, among others) on commercial and compliance matters, and be involved in merger and acquisition transactions from time to time. This position will also actively participate in Legal department initiatives to improve our service to our internal business partners, advance the Legal Team’s knowledge of evolving legal and business issues, and identify and mitigate compliance risks across our organization. This position will help ensure the Company’s long-term success and advance our strong values: respect, teamwork, performance and innovation.
What you will do
- Prepare, review, negotiate, and close a variety of commercial agreements with customers, suppliers and other third parties (sales, procurement, non-disclosure, joint-development, licensing, consulting and other services)
- Advise internal business partners on commercial issues and related compliance matters, including anti-trust and anti-corruption risks, to achieve an appropriate balance of legal risk with business results while adhering to the Company’s policies and advancing its values
- Help to oversee TC Packaging’s compliance with relevant laws, regulations and Company policies
- Support and contribute to a healthy and safe work environment by following all workplace regulations, policies, and initiatives, including reporting all first aid injuries, accidents, and workplace hazards.
What you have to offer
- J.D. from an accredited U.S. law school, strong academic background, and currently licensed and in good standing to practice law in at least one state (with ability to become licensed in Illinois within six months)
- Minimum of ten years of relevant legal experience in law firm or in-house settings (ideally, a mix of both)
- Well-versed in general corporate and commercial contract law and knowledge of intellectual property matters.
- Demonstrated experience drafting and negotiating a range of commercial agreements (sales, purchasing, joint-development, licenses, non-disclosure)
- Active participation in drafting and negotiating in M&A transactions
- Keen business judgment and demonstrated ability to apply legal knowledge to resolve challenges and advance Company’s interests in customer- and vendor-facing commercial transactions
- Affinity for vetting complex and sensitive issues within business and legal teams
- Confidence to articulate identified risks to internal business partners, persistence to appropriately elevate, and the savvy to suggest and advocate creative solutions
- Diligent self-starter, asks for and offers assistance to colleagues to help drive practical, solution-oriented results
- Strong organizational and time management skills; comfortable multitasking, prioritizing and managing changing priorities and tight timelines
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and desire and ability to develop effective working relationships with individuals and teams with multiple and sometimes competing expectations and deadlines
- Solid working knowledge of IP issues in business situations is a plus
- International experience is a plus; proficiency in French and/or Spanish is a plus
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Teams, Word, Outlook)
What we have to offer
- Opportunity to be part of a dynamic and highly motivating work environment where you can develop your potential and build an exciting career within a dynamic Legal team that is a critical partner in advancing our Company’s interests, values and long-term goals
- A competitive compensation package, 401K plan with immediate vesting, and flexible benefits that are customizable to you and your family needs
- Employee perks such as discounts from suppliers on various products and services such as insurance, wireless bundles, travel, and much more