AkzoNobel has a passion for paint. We’re experts in the proud craft of making paints and coatings, setting the standard in color and protection since 1792. Our world class portfolio of brands – including Dulux, International, Sikkens and Interpon – is trusted by customers around the globe. Headquartered in the Netherlands, we operate in over 80 countries and employ around 35,000 talented people who are passionate about delivering the high performance products and services our customers expect. For more information please visit www.akzonobel.com.
AkzoNobel has a passion for paint. We’re experts in the proud craft of making paints and coatings, setting the standard in color and protection since 1792. Our world class portfolio of brands – including International, Interpon, Sikkens and Chemcraft – is trusted by customers around the globe. Headquartered in the Netherlands, we are active in over 150 countries and employ around 35,000 talented people who are passionate about delivering the high-performance products and services our customers expect. In North America, we’ve been producing innovative, high-performance coatings since 1888. Today, you can find AkzoNobel’s products supporting industries ranging from aerospace to consumer electronics, infrastructure, transportation, home décor, furniture and marine vessels. With a regional headquarters in Nashville, Tennessee, AkzoNobel’s North America operation includes 3,500 employees at more than 30 manufacturing sites, technology labs and business offices. For more information please visit www.akzonobel.com
In North America, AkzoNobel provides performance coatings products to customers through four operating business units: Powder Coatings, Automotive & Special Coatings, Industrial Coatings and Marine, Protective & Yacht Coatings.
We currently have an opening for a Senior Legal Counsel Employment, Compliance and Commercial to work in our newly relocated Corporate Office for North America based in Nashville, TN.
About the role
The main objective of the Senior Legal Counsel is to advise the company on all Employment and Compliance issues as well as conduct investigations in response to complaints. They must have command of employment laws and regulations and use their knowledge to help our businesses achieve their goals while minimizing legal risk.
With respect to Employment and Compliance matters, the Senior Legal Counsel works for all AkzoNobel businesses in North America and with multiple stakeholders within each business. The Senior Legal Counsel will also be responsible for commercial matters for one of our North American businesses.
The Senior Legal Counsel needs to be able to quickly prioritize issues and manage his/her workload accordingly. The Senior Counsel will also need to coordinate closely with an Employment lawyer in Europe to insure that our businesses around the world comply with local laws and regulations.
- Provide legal advice to all AkzoNobel businesses operating in North America on Employment and Compliance issues.
- Monitor employment laws and regulations and educate legal and business colleagues on noteworthy developments
- Conducting Investigations into complaints raised
- Manage Outside Counsel
- The Senior Counsel will also provide legal advice on commercial and contract matters to one of the company's business units in North America.
Job requirements/Candidate profile
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school with admission to at least one state bar and eligible for admission as an in-house lawyer in Tennessee.
- 8-10 years of relevant working experience at a major law firm or a multi-national corporation.
- First rate knowledge of Employment laws and regulations in the US. Some familiarity with comparable laws and regulations in Canada and Mexico would be helpful.
- Knowledge of contract law and experience with drafting, reviewing and negotiating commercial agreements.
- Top-level analytical, counseling, negotiating, communication and interpersonal skills with sound legal and ethical judgment.
- Ability to work with a multidisciplinary team of business personnel, internal and external legal and technical consultants and to coordinate negotiations with government agencies and private parties.
- The ability to work as a team member across the region and the world
As a leading paints and coatings company AkzoNobel is proud to offer a competitive compensation package as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, dental and vision coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement and much more.