: Proximity to GoDaddy’s office in Santa Clara, CA; Kirkland, WA; or Tempe, AZ preferred.
This position is not eligible to be performed in Alaska, Colorado, Mississippi, North Dakota, or the Virgin Islands.Join our team
GoDaddy seeks an experienced, business-oriented attorney for the position of (Senior) Director, Legal – Commerce, to serve as the primary legal partner to GoDaddy’s President, Commerce and their leadership team.
The (Senior) Director, Legal – Commerce must have extensive experience advising on U.S. and international financial/payment services legal, regulatory and compliance matters including, but not limited to, BSA/AML compliance matters, U.S. federal and state MSB registration/licensing matters, compliance with OFAC and other international sanctions regulations, UK FCA and EMI licensing matters, and familiarity with global data privacy, data security regulations and intellectual property matters. The ideal candidate must also: (i) have experience dealing with financial services regulatory agencies who have regulatory authority over GoDaddy’s operations; (ii) have experience advising on the manufacture, distribution, and sale of hardware devices and SaaS products; (iii) have a proven track record of effectively partnering with senior management on matters with enterprise impact; (vi) demonstrate the level of intellect, expertise, and influencing skills to be credible at all levels of the organization and have the ability to adapt and innovate in a changing internal and external landscape, ; and (v) be comfortable analyzing complex products and services, determining key issues, and translating complicated legal and regulatory considerations into clear and actionable advice.What you'll get to do
Your experience should include...:
- Serve as the primary legal partner and trusted advisor to GoDaddy’s President, Commerce and their leadership team, providing leadership on regulatory compliance matters and accurate and timely advice and counsel with assistance from subject matter experts across GoDaddy’s Legal Department as well as assistance from external counsel, as necessary.
- Instruct and manage external counsel within agreed policies and budget.
- Advise on legal and regulatory risks of business decisions and strategic initiatives, and help craft pragmatic solutions that mitigate risk and support growth.
- Work closely with GoDaddy’s Legal Department and GoDaddy’s compliance group to maintain a current understanding of the legal and regulatory landscape including the support and maintenance of legal and regulatory obligations as these apply to the business.
- Advise on legal and regulatory elements of the design, build and execution of Commerce products and services.
- Develop strategy for engaging, and navigate communications with, regulators, in partnership with the compliance group.
- Advise on and draft and negotiate contracts relating to a broad spectrum of commercial transactions, including OEMs, freight forwarders, 3PLs, distributors and business partners.
- Lead legal analysis for new market diligence and entry plans.
- Work closely with business partners and the compliance group to identify, track, and remediate compliance issues.
- Provide training to Legal Department, senior management and relevant staff, as appropriate.
- Please note that roles within GoDaddy may evolve with the needs of the business and the legal and regulatory landscape.
- Bachelor’s degree and J.D. required.
- Solid knowledge of payments industry products, emerging products, regulations and related trends.
- Thrives in a fast-paced and constantly evolving environment.
- Works well in both team and individual settings.
- Effectively leads through ambiguity and drives outcomes.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Anticipates needs and proactively and creatively solves problems and resolves potential areas of conflict.
- Identifies trends and proposes scalable solutions and processes to support accelerated growth.
- Willing to roll up sleeves and dive into problems and projects, but also able to pull the lens back and think strategically.
- Collaborative, but not afraid to challenge others in a diplomatic manner.
- Influences, often without formal decision-making authority, large cross-functional teams with varying priorities, subject matter expertise and levels of experience.
- Strives for continuous improvement.
- Strategic minded and business oriented.
- Superior written and verbal communication and presentation skills, including confidence advising executives, and the ability to read audiences and adjust messaging accordingly.
- Cultivates culture of inclusion and trust.