We're seeking a motivated, conscientious Senior Counsel / Director, In-Licensing to join the global in-licensing practice within the Legal & Business Affairs section of the Mattel Law Department. Our in-licensing Legal & Business Affairs team plays a critical, valued role supporting Mattel’s Entertainment Partnerships and Corporate Development teams, which manage our studio and other brand in-licenses.
These in-licensing deals account for approximately $1.5 billion in sales each year and involve some of the world’s most iconic brands, including Toy Story, Cars, DC Super Heroes, Jurassic Park, Fast & Furious, Despicable Me, Halo, Minecraft, Star Wars, WWE, Nat Geo, Hello Kitty, Tesla, Jeep, and Corvette. Our deal work is sophisticated, and our contracts are complex. This position is located at Mattel’s headquarters in Los Angeles, CA (though it is currently remote due to Covid-19).
What Your Impact Will Be:
- Provide thoughtful, proactive, and strategic legal and business advice on a wide-range of licensing issues, including, IP ownership, royalty structures and participations, indemnities and reps/warranties, manufacturing and responsible supply chain, product safety, audits, and contract disputes;
- Handle all aspects of a broad range of licensing and other IP-based transactions, including, structuring, drafting, negotiating, and closing deals – often with challenging deadlines;
- Identify issues early, and then creatively solve them, as well as spot industry and company-wide trends and build a consensus in managing them efficiently on a company-wide basis;
- Manage outside counsel to efficiently deliver legal services, and oversee outside counsel staffing and budgets;
- Work to minimize legal exposure by proactively reviewing existing practices, forms and contracts, while considering business objectives and practicalities;
- Cultivate the trust and confidence of, and provide legal counsel to, executives and senior/ middle management on complex legal and business issues;
- Proactively manage expectations of clients, business partners, and staff. Skillfully juggle constantly changing priorities and sometimes conflicting client objectives, while looking out for Mattel’s best interests.
What We’re Looking For:
- Demonstrated experience structuring, drafting, negotiating, and managing IP licenses and a broad range of other IP-based transactions (including marketing and sponsorship agreements), as well as familiarity with how brands and content can be exploited across a range of media and platforms;
- Ability to identify and analyze complex issues and evaluate their broader implications for the business; interact with clients at all levels; provide timely, practical, legal advice and solutions; and communicate effectively in person and in writing;
- Ability to work independently, exercise good judgment, take ownership of issues and see matters to their successful conclusion;
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment;
- Intellectual curiosity, ability and willingness to develop expertise in other topics to meet the needs of a dynamic business and Law Department;
- Demonstrated integrity and ability to foster a compliance culture;
- JD from an accredited law school and strong academic credentials;
- At least 7+ years of experience as an IP transactional attorney; with a emphasis on licensing, preferably in consumers products;
- In-house experience strongly preferred;
- Experience managing outside counsel and legal budgets preferred;
- Bar Admission in California strongly preferred;
- This position will evolve as Mattel’s needs evolve.