Alliance Defending Freedom is seeking a highly motivated Senior Counsel, Corporate Engagement Director located in our Ashburn, VA office. This position promotes the strategic objectives of ADF in the corporate domain. The Senior Counsel will act as a principal corporate engagement strategist and play a lead role in efforts to urge corporations to respect free speech, religious freedom, life, and the foundational institutions of marriage and family. As an alliance builder, the Senior Counsel will cultivate and grow a durable corporate engagement alliance comprised of allies in the government, nonprofit, finance, investing, and other spaces. The Senior Counsel will also interface with ADF’s legislative team, supporting outreach and coordination with allies focused on government, legislative, and policy issues, with a special focus on advancing ADF’s corporate engagement objectives in these arenas.Your Essential Responsibilities:
In this position, you will:
Other Responsibilities (Non-Essential):
- Develop, implement, and advance successful and innovative corporate engagement strategies that neutralize mounting corporate hostility toward people of faith and encourage corporations to respect free speech, religious freedom, and life.
- Interface with organizations and individuals who have been harmed by anti-speech and anti-religious corporate policies and behavior.
- Conduct legal research and analysis concerning legislative, regulatory, and litigation opportunities for achieving the aims of ADF’s corporate engagement efforts.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with Members of Congress, the federal executive branch, other national policy-makers and key government and policy allies.
- Develop, promote, and support strategies and approaches for effective advocacy that advances ADF’s corporate engagement goals in the public square.
- Research, analyze, and evaluate issues related to legislation and government action.
- Advocate and coordinate support for the positions of ADF on governmental policies and legislation that intersect with ADF’s corporate engagement objectives.
- Assist in the development of testimony, legislation, position papers, and reports.
- Provide legislative testimony on the legal implications of proposed legislation.
- Encourage and facilitate effective working relationships with key government and policy allies.
- Travel to meet with policy groups, legislative staff, and other stakeholders to discuss policy, strategy, and how to effectively advocate to government officials and the public.
- Speak publicly to the media and before crowds.
- Work collaboratively within the ADF team and external allies.
Skills you need to succeed:
- You will be asked to perform related duties or special projects as assigned.
Demonstrated proficiency in:
- Legislative and executive branch processes and procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge of religious freedom and constitutional issues related to the ADF mission.
- Proven legislative advocacy skills, including demonstrated advanced verbal and written communication skills.
- Research, analysis, and evaluation of governmental issues, rules, regulations, and legislation.
- Demonstrated high-level and effective interpersonal skills, including ability to establish and maintain effective broad-range working relationships, and proven ability to work independently and collaboratively on internal and external teams.
- Willingness to work in a frenetic and fluid legislative/political environment.
- Flexibility and effectiveness in handling multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent timeframes and changing conditions.
- Knowledge of the legislative process.
- Bolstering relationships with key legislative staff for both Democrats and Republicans, as well as other mission-related advocacy organizations.
- Awareness of current political environment and on-going strategic implications that affect the legislative activities and corporate engagement efforts of ADF.
- Ability of reaching out and effectively using grassroots networks to advance a policy agenda.
- Knowledge of ADF’s mission and strategic objectives.
- Strong communication and relationship development skills.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office Word, and Outlook.
- Strong time management skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Navigating the complex structure of the legislative branch to produce desired results.
Education and/or experience:
- Professionally handle confidential information.
- Make sound decisions under demanding conditions.
- Problem solve.
- Rapidly and with flexibility change priorities in order to respond to recent and changing legislative developments.
- Work, motivate, and initiate within a team and independently.
- Produce excellent written and verbal communications.
- Function effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Persuade and inspire others to act.
- Bachelor's degree in Political Science, Public Affairs, or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills may be obtained.
- J.D., and licensed to practice law in relevant jurisdiction
- Preferably 10+ years professional experience involving legislative and public policy work at the federal level.