At Notarize, we’re pulling the future closer. As the first company to complete a legal online notarization, online mortgage closing, online will, online auto sales, and countless other critical transactions, we’re proud of our role in bringing industries into the digital age.
Our business has grown exponentially (over 600%) in the past year, as companies across a wide variety of industries - including real estate, investment/retirement, insurance, healthcare, and wealth management - look to us to help their customers get crucial legal transactions processed securely and remotely. We’ve had a huge surge in inbound interest, so we're growing our legal team to help meet this rising demand.
As an integral part of our lean legal power team, you'll report to our AVP, Commercial Transactions and work closely with "client teams" across the organization - from Product and Engineering to Sales, Marketing, and Senior Leadership.
As our Senior Counsel, you will:
- Structure, draft and negotiate a high volume of contracts with a focus on enterprise level technology transactions (e.g. SaaS and PaaS).
- Partner with business and technical teams to lead, negotiate and finalize commercial agreements. Concisely explain legal terms, identify related risks and set and execute tactics to achieve the most favorable, risk-mitigated results.
- Triage a heavy workflow, setting appropriate priorities with internal clients and delivering results efficiently.
- Lead and support the continual effort to streamline the contracting process by improving existing contract templates, playbooks and processes, with an emphasis on efficiency and scalability. Monitor and update contracts required to comply with state and federal law, regulatory requirements.
- Conduct due diligence on third party service providers.
- Be a utility player. Take on opportunities and add value as needed in practice areas beyond commercial transactions.
- Stay current on industry, commercial, intellectual property, open source, privacy and other laws, regulations, and developments to be able to give the most effective advice.
What we're looking for:
- A JD with 8+ years experience. Must be admitted and in good standing in any US jurisdiction.
- Hands-on experience as an in-house attorney at a tech/SaaS company, or experience working for tech clients.
- Significant corporate transaction experience, negotiating a wide variety of commercial contracts with a focus on technology or software related agreements. Experience negotiating enterprise contracts is a plus.
- Comfort drafting and negotiating a wide variety of contracts, such as MSAs, NDAs, SOWs and other agreements; experience negotiating reseller agreements is a plus!
- Ability to translate between business and technical risk and communicate clearly to business and technical partners within the organization.
- Demonstrated startup initiative - ability to self-manage, find creative ways to work through barriers, actively learn necessary skills, and manage projects to completion with minimal supervision.
- Proven communication and presentation skills - ability to collaborate with a wide variety of stakeholders (internal teams, customers, regulators, partners, etc.) on legal and regulatory compliance issues.