This position is responsible for managing complex commercial litigation in a variety of legal matters that affect the company and advising in-house business clients on avoiding litigation risk, maximizing business recoveries, and retiring litigation risk in a strategic, yet cost-effective manner. Candidates should possess a high level of familiarity with standard legal concepts, practices and procedures applicable to civil, administrative and criminal cases and be able to develop and implement plans to effectively manage all phases of commercial litigation, from motion practice to discovery, including electronic discovery, expert testimony and trial. Candidates will be responsible for managing a docket consisting of a variety of complex commercial matters and, in addition to managing outside counsel, may also serve as attorney of record for the company where appropriate. When managing outside counsel, core expectations include the management and direction of outside counsel’s workstreams—as well as hands-on participation in those workstreams—so that legal spend is reduced. Candidates must be able to work collaboratively with other legal staff members and exhibit the competence and professionalism needed to earn the trust of members of the company’s management team. Candidates must demonstrate an ability to effectively and timely communicate with and respond to clients, including senior managers, along with an ability to provide competent risk assessment advice. The successful candidate relies on extensive experience and sound judgment to independently plan and accomplish goals and possesses an in-depth knowledge of a wide variety of legal concepts practices and procedures. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected. This Senior Counsel position will be a part of the Commercial Litigation group of the Tyson Foods Law Department, with primary focus on complex commercial litigation matters including antitrust, securities, breach of contract, food labeling claims and bankruptcy proceedings.
- Education: Law degree from an accredited law school and a license to practice law in at least one jurisdiction.
- Experience: 8 plus years of legal experience or equivalent combination of experience specialized certification licensure or advanced degree preferred; achieved a high level of competency in more than one area of the law. Complex commercial litigation experience necessary and antitrust experience preferred.
- Computer Skills: Standard computer skills.
- Communication Skills: Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Special Skills: A team player with a demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with and respond to clients in a timely manner including the ability to provide competent risk assessment advice. Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Supervisory: May supervise direct reports and will have administrative support staff. Provides functional supervision for other members of the work unit such as assigning work and training lower level positions and may provide functional advice or training to less experienced attorneys.
- Travel: Travel is required but varies with workload.