This position will involve the representation of Travelers in state and federal court in the litigation of Commercial and Personal lines coverage disputes. The attorney will work as part of a specific legal unit focusing solely on handling moderately complex to complex coverage litigation and will, on a day-to-day basis, engage in all facets of the litigation process including appearing in court as counsel for Travelers, taking and defending depositions, drafting all related offensive and defensive pleadings, discovery, and motions.
This position provides a broad range of cost-effective, high quality legal services while representing Travelers. Legal services may include: general legal counseling, drafting and negotiating settlement agreements, handling of litigation, resolution of disputes with Travelers’ insureds, as well as recognition, analysis and response to emerging issues and trends. The attorney will handle moderately complex to complex coverage matters, requiring a solid degree of knowledge and expertise.
This role will involve the representation of Travelers in state and federal court in the litigation and resolution of Commercial and Personal lines insurance coverage disputes. This job does not manage others. This job works under General Direction: Establishes procedures for attaining specific goals and objectives in a broad area of work. Generally final results are reviewed.Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- May include all or the majority but not limited to these components.). Provides high quality, cost effective legal advice and recommendations for action to business clients regarding moderately complex to complex matters which have or may have a dollar impact on business activities and operations.
- Researches legal principles and precedents within area of specialization or expertise. Identifies unique issues in assigned matters and recommends appropriate responses to those issues. Proactively identifies and communicates risk to internal and/or external customers and provides recommendations on how to mitigate that risk. Advises senior business clients on financially significant and complex matters. Drafts, negotiates and executes legal documents. Maintains awareness of judicial climate and legal developments through the review of legal publications, on-line documentation and attendance at seminars and conferences. Builds and maintains strong client relationships.
- May act as mentor and coach to less senior attorneys, paralegal/staff; explains issues, ideas and concepts that are incorporated into work assignments. Makes effective use of technology and automation in the practice of law. Ensures timely submission of work product as required.
- Litigation Specific Job Duties/Responsibilities: Appears on behalf of the Company in both federal and state courts to argue motions and handle trials, status conferences, and other substantive and procedural matters in the litigation of insurance coverage disputes. Determines appropriate legal strategies and positions, as well as action on litigation; provide advice on possible outcomes, awards and settlements. Drafts motions, briefs, pleadings, written discovery, other legal documents, correspondence, and memoranda to identify and protect legal interests of the company. Proposes, prepares and responds to and evaluates oral and written discovery. Prepares and/or reviews annual legal fees budget for assigned cases. Reviews invoices from local counsel and recommends adjustments. Has frequent, independent contact with clients, witnesses, experts and adversaries through counsel.
- Claim Specific Job Duties/Responsibilities: Provides recommendations and case analysis to all business partners on appropriate file handling strategy. Completes all required administrative tasks including time reporting, closed cases reports and other materials appropriate to performance of job duties. Adheres to all standards of excellence in file management. Perform other duties as assigned.
Juris Doctorate; graduate of an accredited law school, with a minimum of six years’ experience as a practicing attorney.Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge:
Licensing or Certificates:
- Six to ten years of prior experience in the litigation of complex insurance coverage disputes.
- Understanding and awareness of principles of Auto, General Liability and/or Property insurance coverage.
Must be admitted to the Bar in good standing in CA.Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies:
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other:
- All Enterprise Individual Contributor Competencies (Enterprise Leadership Competencies if position has direct reports) plus:
- Advocacy: Demonstrates strong lawyering skills, including effective oral and written advocacy. Accurately assesses the degree of legal risk and opportunity in a given situation. While understanding business goals, exercises independent judgment in providing advice and strategic recommendations. Persuasively advocates position.
- Knowledge of Law: Demonstrates expertise in legal specialty areas. Identifies issues; appreciates interaction between facts and the law; grasps legal complexities. Effectively and accurately researches legal issues.
- Negotiation: Understands potential exposure, settlement value, corporate risk and opportunity; understands needs and goals of participants; marshals facts and law; uses creativity in developing effective strategy and persuasively presenting the position; and demonstrates flexibility to achieve an appropriate resolution.
- Trusted Advisor (Legal-specific): Demonstrates excellence in the provision of legal counsel and advice. Earns trust, confidence, and respect through consistent performance; fosters open and honest communication; shares with department significant court decisions and/or litigation trends; candidly offers ideas, thoughtful feedback and a reasoned point of view. When appropriate, challenges assumptions. Acts with integrity; takes appropriate risks.
- Ability to present information and advice in a clear, concise, logical and well-organized manner to enable clients to make informed, well-reasoned business decisions.
- Technology: Uses, leverages, and maintains proficiency with corporate and job-related technology as it evolves (e.g. hardware, software, business unit applications, and systems tools.)
- Appreciation of Business Context: Knows and understands the business supported and acts on legal issues in the context of business objectives and initiatives. Looks for new and innovative ways to achieve business legal objectives.
- Continuous Learning: Gains, absorbs and applies new information to identify and address own learning and development needs to keep skills current.
- Credibility: Demonstrates behavior that causes individual to be perceived as responsible, reliable and trustworthy, including a strong work ethic and attention to detail.
- Influences Others: Influences others without using formal authority. Is open to being influenced to explore new possibilities. Adjusts own style according to the demands of the situation.
- Resource Utilization & Management: Identifies and utilizes corporate and outside personnel and sources of information to achieve goals. Uses, takes advantage of, and maintains proficiency with corporate and job-related resources, including technology.
Travel Requirements: Travel Frequently