Work hard, have fun and make history with Amazon’s Legal team. We are looking for a smart, motivated senior attorney to lead legal support for Amazon Physical Stores development and operations, including Amazon Books, Amazon 4-star and Amazon Go. This attorney will support operations teams that are working to address customer needs in new ways through revolutionary innovations in physical retail.
The attorney will be an integral part of the business and needs to be comfortable providing counsel directly to business leadership both on legal and business issues. Specific responsibilities will include working with business, store development and operations teams to build safety programs that foster the Amazon culture of safety first and managing a comprehensive accessibility program for our physical stores. The role will also work with HR to support our large store associate teams; partner with the supply chain and transportation teams to ensure we are meeting customer demand efficiently while minimizing costs; and handle the transactional and regulatory work needed to support those teams. This attorney also can contribute to the business in other fun ways, such as testing new in-store experiences as a beta customer.
The successful candidate will possess the ability to work efficiently and independently; think creatively and programmatically to proactively solve problems; manage high volumes of tasks and projects with little guidance; improve programs and automate where appropriate to help scale; react with appropriate urgency and calmness to situations and events that require a quick response or turnaround; take effective action even without complete information; and roll up their sleeves in a typical start-up fashion to help the business with legal and non-legal issues. The successful candidate will be client-service oriented, and be able to think big while also paying great attention to detail on tight deadlines. The successful candidate will be able to prioritize appropriately and easily switch gears without sacrificing quality of work, maintain a high level of professionalism, integrity, and discretion in handling confidential information, and have the ability to work well with people at all levels inside and outside Amazon. We also hope that candidates who apply are passionate about books and food (or books about food!) because, as members of the team, they will have direct impact on the experience we offer our customers!
- Juris Doctor and membership in good standing of at least one state bar
- 10+ years of legal experience (with at least three years at a law firm) as either a transactional attorney or regulatory attorney
- Experience supporting operational business teams as they grow and scale
- Ability to apply a high level of discretion, common sense and good judgment to ambiguous situations
- Ability to work independently and directly with all levels of legal and business partners
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to manage multiple projects at once, follow through and meet deadlines
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Mix of corporate and in-house experience, with experience supporting physical retailers
- Experience successfully contributing to cross-functional teams
- Experience managing other attorneys and legal professionals
- A keen interest in solving customer problems in new and ways
- A great sense of humor and willingness to grow and improve over time