What you'll do...
What you'll bring to the team...
- Provide legal advice to H&R Block, Inc.and its subsidiaries on a variety of complex legal issues relating to financial products and services. Facilitate projects with strategic impact.
- Serve as a department subject matter expert on legal matters related to financial products, cards, consumer lending, money transmission, payments, franchise lending, and collections.
- Research, analyze and provide practical advice to business units on complex legal and compliance matters related to new and existing products and services, contract terms and regulatory interpretation.
- Monitor and advise management throughout the Company on applicable laws, rules and regulations related to a wide range of legal matters affecting our financial products and services, including TILA/Reg. Z, EFTA/Reg. E, GLBA/Reg. P, UDAAP, and other relevant laws and regulations.
- Working closely with the Vice President and Deputy General Counsel, General Counsel, and other Company executives, including the Chief Product & Experience Officer and Chief Financial Services Officer, to provide high level legal support on a variety of initiatives.
- Respond to regulatory and other inquires, complaints and disputes.
- Monitor evolving laws that may impact the business line and its products and services and assist with operationalizing and implementing compliant solutions.
- Coordinating efforts with internal clients as well as other internal and external attorneys, independently provide legal advice regarding complex issues in connection with the Company’s operations and strategic initiatives on a broad range of topics as further described below.
- Negotiate partner and vendor agreements with counterparties and their legal counsel.
- Manage outside counsel to achieve timely and desired results within budget.
- Some domestic or international travel may be required.
- Periodically assist with diverse high demand legal projects outside normal area of focus.
- Juris Doctorate degree plus license to practice law in one or more states. A current member of the Missouri Bar or an ability to become a member of the Missouri Bar within six months.
- Five to ten years of corporate legal experience at a large law firm or corporate legal department.
- Strong business acumen and an eagerness to partner with internal business colleagues to solve business issues.
- Ability to plan and coordinate multiple projects and work initiatives at the same time.
- Effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills. Strong presentation skills necessary to communicate and persuade a wide range of audiences.
- Experience dealing with clients and external constituencies.
- Ability to spot issues and recommend effective and creative solutions.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
A positive attitude, a collegial approach, and an instinct to go “above and beyond” in order to achieve the optimal outcome for the Company.It would be even better if you also had...
About H&R Block...
- Significant experience providing legal advice on complex matters related to financial products and services in the banking or financial technology industries.
- Significant experience working on complex transactions involving sophisticated counterparties and external service providers.
- Significant experience working with and providing legal advice to senior executives.
We’re here to live our purpose—to provide help and inspire confidence in our clients and communities everywhere. We take our work personally, because we know what it represents: Families and homes. Livelihoods and lives.
We’ve been true to that purpose since brothers Henry and Richard Bloch founded our company in 1955. Since then, we’ve grown to approximately 12,000 tax offices throughout the United States and around the world. When you join our team, you’ll add to the momentum of a forward-thinking company—one that defined an industry and is now leading its transformation.