Please Only Apply If You Have A California Bar License. We Will Only Reply To Applicants With A California License.
The Environmental Defense Center (“EDC”), a nonprofit, public interest environmental law firm headquartered in Santa Barbara, California, is seeking applicants to fill a full-time Senior Attorney or Staff Attorney position. The position is available now and will remain open until filled.
EDC maintains a fast-paced practice in the field of environmental, natural resources, and land use law. EDC represents community groups and environmental organizations in Santa Barbara, Ventura, and San Luis Obispo Counties in state and federal courts and before local, state, and federal agencies. EDC cases involve issues in virtually all local, state, and federal environmental statutes, including CEQA, NEPA, ESA, CAA, CWA, CZMA, OCSLA, CA Coastal Act, MMPA, and California Planning and Zoning Law. A summary of EDC’s activities may be obtained by reviewing our web site at www.EnvironmentalDefenseCenter.org.
Minimum Requirements – Staff or Senior Attorney
- California bar license
- Experience in public interest environmental administrative advocacy and litigation
- Excellent analytical, research, writing, and speaking skills
- Preference for experience in California as well as federal cases
- Demonstrated affinity for working constructively as a member of a team
- Willingness to assist with other functions of a nonprofit, including fundraising, events, public outreach and education, and media relations
Additional Requirements – Senior Attorney
- Seven years’ experience in public interest environmental advocacy and litigation
- Experience managing a caseload
- Experience serving as lead chair in litigation, preferably both California and federal
- Experience serving as lead chair in administrative advocacy before local, state, and/or federal agencies
- Supervision of associate attorneys, other staff, law clerks/externs, and interns
- Proficiency in developing a case docket
*Bilingual fluency is also appreciated. Bonus to be provided for an applicant who is fluent in Spanish.