Visa is seeking a business and commercial lawyer to join its growing legal team that supports Visa’s Global Product, Technology and Business Solutions organizations. The position will report to a Vice-President, Visa Legal - Global Product, Technology & Business Solutions.
The role includes responsibility for supporting a variety of products, services, and operational functions, either as the lead attorney or as part of a small team of experienced counsel. Products and services include Visa’s core product suite (credit, debit, prepaid, commercial), data products, value-added services, new payments flows, network processing, mobile, digital, fraud, identity, and loyalty and offers. The attorney will work closely with other experienced lawyers and compliance professionals, and regularly engage with business clients.
Applicants must be skilled at managing multiple priorities in a fast-paced and challenging, but highly rewarding, environment; have good judgment and strong analytical, client counseling, and negotiation skills; be self-motivated; and, most importantly, be an optimistic, curious, and collaborative team player.
The role may be based in any of the following locations: Foster City, CA; San Francisco, CA; New York, NY; Denver, CO; Austin, TX; Lehi, UT; Bellevue, WA; Wilmington, DE; Atlanta, GA.Visa Is Looking For Someone Who Will
- Work closely with business teams to understand and achieve key business objectives and help them develop compelling product and service offerings
- Draft, negotiate, and drive to completion complex commercial agreements that achieve business objectives, and continue to support those business relationships once consummated
- Provide sophisticated and creative counseling and advice to business teams regarding product development, deployment, and associated commercial and contracting considerations
- Lead review of product related marketing materials, public relations and corporate communications
- Provide regulatory support and evaluation of how shifts in regulatory landscapes may impact Visa and its partners
- Work closely with Visa’s regional and local legal and business teams globally, and assist these teams in resolving regional and local issues, including to achieve consistency on approaches and issues by Visa worldwide
- Provide advice and counsel to business line and management on transactional legal matters and proposed corporate actions and projects
- Review externally facing documentation for compliance with securities laws; disclosure policies; data use policies and requirements; competition law issues; etc.
- Where required, coordinate and supervise outside counsel for timeliness, cost-effectiveness, and excellence of service and work product
5+ years of relevant work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree and J.D.Preferred Qualifications:
- 6 or more years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree and J.D.; admitted to practice law in the United States
- Must be able to work independently and collaboratively as needed, and engage directly with business clients at all levels
- Must be a practical and creative problem-solver with strong business acumen and work ethic
- Must be able to manage and drive the legal and regulatory aspects of complex business initiatives, both in the U.S. and internationally
- Strong preference for prior experience in at least one of the following areas: payment services industry and related credit and debit processing industries and/or technology transactions
- Transactional background (corporate, commercial arrangements) with significant experience drafting and negotiating a wide array of commercial agreements
- Knowledge of privacy and competition laws
- Demonstrated ability to drive execution in a team environment, integrating legal advice and business knowledge while providing balanced advice regarding risks and benefits
- Developed business acumen, with ability to understand the company's business interests and anticipate the nature and magnitude of issues that could arise in various settings
- Must be able to multitask and manage a significant workload and a number of clients with minimal supervision