Current opening: Iowa licensed attorney with 5-7 years of experience in premises liability litigation to work in our West Des Moines office or a virtual home office anywhere in Iowa.
Job Summary: The Senior Associate is responsible for a variety of roles within the practice of law and performs tasks with minimal general supervision of a senior attorney. A Senior Associate will conduct research, write legal briefs or memoranda, and provide legal advice/opinions to companies and individuals. A Senior Associate is expected to be able to competently defend a lawsuit from its inception through trial.
Primary Job Requirements:
- Research and analyze the law on complex issues.
- Synthesize legal research and analysis into a coherent written memorandum or brief for submission to a client, court or arbitrator.
- Draft Answers, Motions, Briefs and other pleadings.
- Draft discovery and respond to discovery.
- Analyze and summarize medical records and Plaintiff's Production and client documents.
- Conduct fact investigation including witness interviews and site inspections.
- Take and defend depositions.
- Prepare complete, accurate and informative case evaluations regarding liability, damages and recommended course of action.
- Appear in a court of law, arbitration or other judicial tribunal on behalf of the firm's client, and present well-reasoned arguments to the judicial body.
- Negotiate with outside parties on contractual issues and legal disputes, including settlement conferences and mediations.
- Stay abreast of legal developments in specialty area of law.
- Oversee and manage caseloads and deadlines; supervise work of paralegals and legal assistants.
- Assist other attorneys as needed.
Essential Training, Skills, Knowledge:
- Possesses strong legal research skills, ability to gather facts and identify possible actions for litigation.
- Displays outstanding organizational skills, high attention-to-detail and accuracy and advanced document editing skills.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Adjusts quickly to multiple priorities and short timeframes as necessitated by client and court deadlines.
- Produces a large volume of work, with accuracy, often under pressure and with tight deadlines.
- Performs tasks with a high degree of self-motivation and creative thinking, combined with ability to work well with others.
- Ability to understand and follow client guidelines and firm guidelines related to case management and client service.
- Displays genuine adherence to strict code of ethical conduct.
- Maintains confidentiality of all work performed and of client related knowledge.
- Displays reliability, including effective work habits and excellent attendance.
- Possesses administrative skills, managerial skills, and negotiating skills; interpersonal skills is also of great benefit.
- Demonstrates expertise in MS Office including MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint and Outlook.
Non-Essential Training, Skills, Knowledge:
- Current or past experience with a cloud-based system.
- Experience with legal billing software.
- Experience conducting online legal research.
- The employee has regular attendance at work and work activities, and is punctual in meeting deadlines, attending meetings, following schedules and following up with clients, opposing party and all internal employees of MWH Law Group. This position does not require the employee to work in the MWH West Des Moines office. MWH will consider a qualified candidate that seeks to work virtually from home and is located elsewhere in Iowa as long as MWH policy and directives are followed.
- In every aspect of this position, employee must exercise honesty and ethical behavior, including but not limited to communication and relationships with attorneys, staff and the public.
- The employee is dressed and groomed in a neat, clean, and appropriate professional manner for the assignment and work setting. The employee will be required to travel as necessary.
- The employee maintains the integrity of confidential information relating to client information, billing and attorney performance.
Organizational Structure: Job requires an ability to communicate on a daily basis with attorneys, support staff and Firm leaders. Must be adaptable, able to manage changing priorities and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Discretion/Independent Decision-Making Authority: Job requires individual to think independently, be self-directed and act autonomously with regard to problem resolution and decision making.
Supervision Received: Job requires an individual who is self-directed with minimal supervision.
Supervision Given: A Senior Associate may be required to give direction to and oversee associates, paralegals and legal assistants who are working on the same matters.
Work Environment: Office environment, including majority of day spent at a desk, on a computer and using a phone. While performing the job, the attorney is frequently required to spend numerous hours sitting, but may also stand and/or travel to court, meetings and to meet clients. The attorney may occasionally lift files and file boxes up to 25 pounds. Office work may be performed remotely (home) to ensure completion of essential duties.
Educational Requirements: JD from an accredited law school and Iowa state bar admission and 5 plus years of experience.