Interested in joining a cause-driven, customer focused company dedicated to positively impacting the health of animals, people and the planet? Search our job listings below.
The Sr. Assistant General Counsel, Business Development & Growth, is a leading legal IP/BD role in our department, encompassing complex business transactions, mergers & acquisitions, divestment, licensing and innovation agreements, negotiations with internal and external parties, and providing sound advice to our business leaders on legal aspects involving business strategy and competitive issues for our commercial pursuits; the role is a new role, reports directly to Deputy General Counsel, Global Head of IP & Business Development, and will be a key member of the Global IP/BD team.
- Counseling business area(s) leaders on key business legal risks, jurisdictional matters, strategies involving risk mitigation and commercial optimization, and ensuring agreements are inclusive
- Performing as a Trusted Advisor and legal business partner to internal clients in developing a deal playbook and strategy, drafting agreements reflecting business deal needs, successfully negotiating complex and multi-jurisdictional agreements with IP rights and regulatory issues, and performing as promised within an intellectually-intense environment.
- Directly handling draft agreements of varying complexities, SAPAs, joint venture transactions, co-development terms, procurement and supply related activities, divestments, settlements, asset incubation opportunities, asset and technology acquisitions, complex funding deals, royalty share deals, collaboration agreements, brand restricted and labeling matters, MOUs, NDAs, LOIs, licensing and innovation agreements, and more, as assigned.
- Conducting due diligence and asset assessment for select opportunities.
- Serving as key liaison with other cross-functional departments, bringing legal position and strategy, with gravitas, to the deal team.
- Developing and reporting on associated competitive data analytics with client focus
- Scientific undergraduate degree
- Juris Doctor or equivalent legal degree
- At least eight (8) years in practice and experience in providing legal counsel on business development, M&A, divestiture, and related legal deals with a major corporation or law firm
- Significant experience drafting, negotiating and executing successfully terms, agreements, and deals of at least $100M+ including multi-jurisdictional deals.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of US and European business law implications to business development and growth opportunities.
- Familiarity with IP assets, regulatory processes, and IP validity issues in US and EP
- Financial acumen for proposals, business deals and complex transactions
- Active State bar registrations with Certificates of Good Standing
- Demonstrated ability to perform successfully in cross-functional teams
- Ability to handle multiple projects in fast-paced environment and exercise sound legal judgement
- Capable of providing legal and strategic guidance to senior management and functional organizational leadership
- Excellent interpersonal, strategic thinking, communication, and organizational skills.
- Applies innovative problem-solving skills and judgment to assist in managing corporate risk
- Delivers work product within business constraints in a demanding environment while balancing competing client requests
- Proven experience successfully navigating corporate, state, & federal legal environments.
- Experience with Hatch Waxman litigation.
- Strong familiarity with ANDA, FDA, regulatory processes and environments.
- Proven ability to educate internal clients on processes, procedures and risks associated with awareness education, performing with complete integrity for on-going deals, and delivering on promises made.
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Elanco Animal Health does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this position.
- Advanced degree(s) in pharma, chemistry, biochemistry, etc.
- Advanced degree in business (e.g., MBA, DBA)
- Familiarity with the animal health or crop science industry
- Strong business acumen and mindset towards collaboration
- Previous in-house experience
- Strong ability to develop visually ideas and communicate messaging and guidance to senior leaders with a dedicated following
- Preferred experience delivering multi-million-dollar wins (M&A) and divestment successes, for significant deals
- Preferred experience handling IP issues, including brand and generic IP strategies involving patents and trademarks particular in due diligence activities, in fields of pharmaceuticals, biotech, medical devices, business intelligence, and/or animal health
- Six Sigma certification
This position is located at Elanco’s Headquarters in Greenfield, IN or Kansas City, MO.