Under the direction of the City Solicitor, assists in the performance of the duties of his/her office and shall perform such other duties as assigned. He/she shall represent the city in all proceedings before any court, administrative board, legislative committee and any such body, when so requested by the
City Solicitor. Conducts civil lawsuits, draws up legal documents, advises employees of the City as to legal rights, and practices other phases of municipal law by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Under direction of the City Solicitor:
- Gathers evidence in civil and other cases to formulate defense or to initiate legal action.
- Conducts research, interviews clients, and witnesses and handles other details in preparation for trial, arbitration or other resolution alternatives.
- Prepares legal briefs, develops strategy, arguments and testimony in preparation for presentation of case. Files brief with court clerk.
- Represents City in court, and before quasi-judicial or administrative agencies of government.
- Interprets laws, rulings, and regulations for individuals, departments, council, committees and other City agencies.
- Confers with colleagues with specialty in area of lawsuit to establish and verify basis for legal proceedings.
- Drafts transfer of assets, gifts, contracts, collection letters and payment agreements, bonds, deeds, leases, obligations and other legal documents.
- Advises City Manager and/or City Council concerning transactions of city business involving employees, public buildings, officers and City relations with general public.
- Prepares business contracts, settles labor disputes, and administers other legal matters.
Supervisory Responsibilities: none
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Juris Doctorate Degree
- Attorney licensed to practice law in the courts of the Commonwealth of MA.
- Experience in municipal law (procurement, land-use, ethics, litigation, eminent domain, civil rights, labor relations, public health, taxation and the like) desired.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents.
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints.
- Ability to write speeches and articles using original or innovative techniques or style.
- Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, administrative agencies, court and/or City Council.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit.. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and color vision.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- The City of Lowell is a smoke and drug free employer and requires a physical with drug screen and CORI, post offer.