Attorney needed to support Regulatory Strategy team responsible for reviewing and providing legal advice related to state insurance regulatory filings applicable to Cigna's US Healthcare domestic businesses. This attorney will provide counsel on product and rate filings, market conduct exams, insurance licensure activities, holding company, and other regulatory inquiries and required filings. This role will also conduct research and provide counsel on business initiatives requiring insurance regulatory review and approval.Responsibilities
- Provide counsel to Cigna's domestic teams on various regulatory filings and other touchpoints with insurance regulatory agencies, including but not limited to product and rate filings, regulatory reporting, market conduct exams, and insurance licensure activities (TPA, PBM, UR, etc.).
- Review and provide counsel on communications to be made with various regulatory agencies.
- Assist with the identification of trends and development of strategy to mitigate regulatory risk.
- Provide regulatory subject matter expertise for assigned topics; serve as a point of contact for business and other regulatory staff.
- Conduct legal research and provide advice on state regulatory topics.
- Collaborate with other attorneys in the Legal Department as a regulatory subject matter expert.
- Assist with the negotiation of scope of new market conduct exams and the resolution of regulatory inquiries and findings.
- Facilitate responses to regulatory inquiries or complaints and support business operations by providing reliable and timely guidance on daily regulatory issues.
- Work on assigned projects independently or with other team members.
- Apply sound business judgment to the provision of legal advice and continuously look for opportunities to improve service.
- Juris doctorate degree
- Bar membership
- Minimum 5 years of legal experience, preferably in corporate, transactional, or regulatory work.
- Experience in health or life insurance, healthcare, and / or financial services industries preferred, with a working knowledge of health insurance business and regulatory principles.
- Strong knowledge of state insurance products (managed care, HMO, PPO, etc.) and related requirements preferred.
- Strong team player focused on client objectives.
- Ability to work effectively in complex matrix reporting structures.
- Ability to learn quickly on the job in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including legal drafting and ability to apply law to business needs.
- Ability to handle complex legal matters.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to analyze regulatory and business information, determine cost/benefit, and provide compliant solutions and recommendations.
- Ability to work on legal issues without clear legal precedent and advise accordingly.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage a high volume of matters independently.
- Ability to demonstrate cultural sensitivity.
- Ideal candidate will be a self-starter with a willingness to learn new things.
- Highly collaborative individual with ability to influence others and build strong professional relationships.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, age, disability, sex, childbirth (including pregnancy) or related medical conditions including but not limited to lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital or familial status, genetic information, status with regard to public assistance, citizenship status or any other characteristic protected by applicable equal employment opportunity laws.
If you require an accommodation based on your physical or mental disability please email: SeeYourself@cigna.com. Do not email SeeYourself@cigna.com for an update on your application or to provide your resume as you will not receive a response.