Come grow with us! We are One Rayonier, a team that works together to create value by maintaining a strong safety culture, challenging the status quo, giving back to our communities, being innovative, continuously learning and leading the way. After more than 90 years, Rayonier is still uncovering new ways to make lives better with our trees, our land, and — our most important resource — our people.
We strive to create an employee experience that makes you proud to be a part of the Rayonier team. We are committed to maintaining an inclusive and collaborative environment where you can be who you are and valued for your unique talents and perspectives. Rayonier is big enough to offer you professional growth and development opportunities, yet small enough for you to know every coworker by name. Come join a team that empowers you to make a difference!Position Description
- The Real Estate Attorney will provide advice and counsel to the real estate business unit. This includes responsibility for all commercial activities, real estate transactions, including management of the land sales program, all development- related issues, including entitlement, development and land use matters, and litigation management.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Draft contracts and other documents to be used by the business units and work closely with management to structure, draft and negotiate all business transactions, including real estate sales, joint ventures and agreements with municipalities and other governmental entities relating to the Company’s real estate activities.
- Manage litigation for the business unit and supervise outside counsel in connection therewith.
- Provide legal advice and counsel (with outside counsel when appropriate) for the entitlement process, including land use, permitting, zoning, municipal matters and the comp plan/sector plan process.
- With others in the business, advise with respect to, and participate in, the state and local administrative and political processes to advance Rayonier’s interests and objectives.
- Assist environmental and real estate personnel on issues relating to land management and real estate development, including wetland delineation, mitigation and permitting.
- Counsel and train management and supervisory personnel on compliance with applicable law, including real estate licensing laws, and advise same on the effects of coming changes in law that may affect the businesses.
- J.D. degree from a respected law school with indicia of academic achievement, and admission to the bar of at least one state.
- At least 10 years of experience in a law firm or in-house legal department in forestry and/or real estate, preferably in Florida and/or Georgia
- Ability to work independently, strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills with a collaborative approach
Rayonier is committed to maintaining a drug free work environment that promotes diversity and is free of discrimination.