Growing Marietta law firm is seeking an experienced attorney to work with the firm on a contract or of counsel basis. The attorney will help the firm and its clients with estate litigation and estate administration cases. The firm is based in Marietta, Georgia. This is an immediate opening.
Who is this ideal for?
This position is designed to provide flexibility in work hours while still allowing the attorney to work in the legal field. As a result, this contract attorney position could be ideal for several different scenarios. For example, it would be an ideal arrangement for an attorney with a solo practice that is looking to transition to a firm over time. This would allow time to wind down existing cases while providing an income to the attorney during that process.
Another potential example is someone looking to work as an attorney part time and still have the flexibility for family or commitments outside of the firm.
How does it work?
As a contract attorney, you have flexibility in the number of hours you work each week. We’ll have a discussion about how much you want to work and how many hours the firm needs. Based upon that, we’ll come to an agreement on the target weekly hours for you. Then, we will work together to give you the appropriate number of assignments so you can meet that number. That said, since this is a contract position, we are not able to guarantee any minimum number of weekly hours. As time goes on, we’ll revisit the discussion to see if anything needs to change.
Ideally, a contract attorney would be available to work 10 to 25 hours per week. If the attorney desires it, there may be an opportunity for the right candidate to join our team as a full time attorney in the future, based upon the needs and growth of the firm.
Details About the Position
As a contract attorney, you will help our team and our clients with estate administration, estate dispute, and estate & trust litigation cases. That could mean you are handling a case start to finish, or working on specific projects from time to time. It just depends on what the team needs at the time.
Some examples of projects may include drafting or responding to discovery; reviewing estate, discovery, or financial documents; assisting and advising clients on matters related to settling an estate; representing clients in hearings and trials; and other tasks involved in the practice of estate & trust administration and estate & trust litigation. As our working relationship develops, you may be assigned cases where you are the attorney primarily responsible for the matter, with support from our team.
About the Firm:
Our firm focuses exclusively on helping clients after a loved one has passed away, so the attorney must have a high emotional intelligence and be able to maintain a professional relationship with the client through the emotional ups and downs that the client will inevitably experience. We promote proactive contact with clients so that the client does not have to call our office for information, and we expect the attorney in this position to focus on that as well.
Internally, we focus on training and development of our team, and we ask each person to focus on what they are best at. Some examples are:
- An internal coaching and training system with ongoing weekly training
- Ongoing work product review until successful graduation from the work review program
- No requirement or expectation for our attorneys to generate new business
- New case assignments made based upon work capacity, and knowledge/skill in particular issues in client’s case
We want our attorneys to focus on being great attorneys and delivering excellent legal work and excellent service to our clients. Accordingly, this opportunity is ideal for an attorney that wants to focus on being the best attorney they can be, without having to worry about generating business, networking, or handling bookkeeping and accounting.
We have learned that our firm and our way of doing things is different than many law firms. It is not a fit for every person. If you think this position would be a fit for you, please apply.
- We are a client-focused firm.
- We are positive. We deal with hard issues, and it’s easy to be negative about things. We don’t want negative people on our team.
- We are an established and growing firm
- We love to promote from within and have an advancement path from contract to full time, with additional advancement opportunities for full time attorneys
- Every team member has the ability to grow with the firm and to make a contribution to the continued success of the firm.
- We value teamwork and collaboration, and have a close knit team. We believe in work hard / play hard.
- We are goal-focused. Our success or failure depends upon each person carrying their weight.
To be considered for the position, the candidate must meet the following qualifications:
- Attorney licensed to practice law in Georgia
- 5 or more years in practice
- 5 or more years of experience in civil litigation, including experience with preparing discovery, responding to discovery, writing motions and briefs, and appearing in court
- Very strong attention to detail
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Positive outlook and a desire to help clients
- Ability to keep track of and meet deadlines
- Goal oriented personality with a focus on achieving successful results for clients in their cases, and meeting or exceeding firm goals
The following additional experience is a plus, but is not required:
- Fiduciary litigation experience
- Probate experience
How to Apply
- Use the Apply Now button
- Attach resume.
- Tell us why this contract attorney position is a good fit for you.
No calls or emails please.