Are you creative and passionate about the intersection of law, data protection, and technology? Do you want to work for one of the most innovative tech firms in the world and make a difference? If so, Microsoft’s Corporate External & Legal Affairs (CELA) department is for you.
We’re looking for an attorney with expertise in global privacy and data protection law to join our Privacy and Regulatory Affairs legal team and help solve challenging privacy issues impacting Microsoft’s business around the world.
This role is an individual contributor who will be central to Microsoft’s engagement with data protection authorities across Asia, North America, and globally who will work with colleagues to address data protection matters in complex and strategic commercial and public-sector transactions in those regions. The successful candidate for this role will be a trusted adviser and partner for business teams and for CELA’s commercial attorneys and government affairs professionals in Asia and North America.
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us achieve our mission.
Legal Advice and Counsel
- Acts as a subject matter expert within Microsoft’s Office of Data Protection, tracking global legal and regulatory developments in privacy and data protection; resolves legal matters.
- Contributes to clients and colleagues by providing actionable advice on global privacy and data protection requirements, including the EU General Data Protection Regulation, U.S. state privacy laws, and privacy laws and regulations across Asia and globally, grounded in an understanding of Microsoft’s products and services.
- Works with outside counsel and other service providers to resolve issues.
- Supports colleagues across Microsoft’s legal department in structuring, drafting, and negotiating transactional documents to respond to data protection questions from customers.
- Advises and helps clients understand legal issues, identifies privacy and data protection risks, and offers solutions.
- Identifies and engages appropriate stakeholders across Microsoft to escalate issues.
- Engages with regulators, policymakers, and others to explain Microsoft’s data practices and positions.
- Actively participates in legal and industry associations (e.g., presenting at meetings, conferences, hearings, consultations, assisting in planning or preparing presentations); contributes to external outreach initiatives and recruiting.
- Develops positive relationships with external legal professionals, customers, and partners to protect and advocate Microsoft's interests; coordinates with government affairs professionals to develop policy strategies on privacy and data protection.
- Engages with legal and business colleagues to identify and share best practices.
- Provides continuous feedback and contributes to the improvement of project operational efficiencies; provides recommendations to improve efficiencies within work group and to provide legal services to clients.
- Manages project work expenses according to budget and proposes efficiencies.
- Models compliance and maintains confidentiality, attorney-client privilege, privacy, and the security of data.
- Collaborates effectively within work group and across functions on client issues.
- Organizes and simplifies issues and ideas in written and oral communication.
Embody our culture and values
- Juris Doctorate Degree or Equivalent International Degree
- OR Completion of a Legal Apprenticeship
- Active license to practice law in a jurisdiction and capable of meeting admission requirements in relevant jurisdiction
- 5+ years experience as a practicing attorney, with strong law firm experience and familiarity with privacy and data protection regulations
- OR equivalent practice of law
Additional or Preferred Qualifications:
- 3+ years experience as an attorney specializing in privacy and data protection
- In-house counsel experience