Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as the Lead Counsel, Intellectual Property (IP) in our Boston office.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Futureto people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission.
As a Lead Counsel, Intellectual Property (IP) working on the Global Legal Team,
The overall purpose for this in-house, intellectual property counsel is to provide the organization with expertise in a variety of intellectual property issues including support to Therapeutic Area, Region and/or Global Function.
- The successful candidate will Represents IP in Global Product and Global Brand Teams and for leading the IP strategy for Global Product Teams and Global Brand Teams (and related sub-teams such as Clinical, CMC, TMed or other sub-teams) by translating strategic decisions into operational plans consistent with IP Therapeutic Area strategy.
- Establishes rapport and positive working relationships with GPT, GBT and related sub-team members and act as their advisor on a variety of IP related issues including publication reviews, IP agreement support, and other IP issues that arise in the GPT, GBT or other sub-team activities.
- Builds consensus across global IP regions/functions for GPT, GBT and/or other Global Function activities.
- Contributes to the development of policies/procedures for IP Therapeutic Area, Regional or Global Functional Groups, in collaboration with IP TAH, IP Region Head and/or IP Function Head.
- Prepares and prosecutes or oversees the preparation and prosecution of worldwide patent applications and conducts patentability and freedom to operate assessments for Discovery, Development and Commercial related activities.
- Conducts/oversees IP due diligence, IP agreement review/negotiation for Takeda’s investment, M&A, and partnering activities.
- Participates in or provide strategic support to IPRs, opposition proceedings, and other patent office proceedings.
- Provides support to IP litigation.
- Develops and continually expands a thorough understanding of the Company’s current and planned business activities, products, competitors, and markets in order to identify relevant legal trends, laws and regulations
- Manages legal resources internally, directly and/or indirectly, and externally to complete projects in a timely and high quality manner.
- May supervise one or more direct reports and one or more other global IP members.
- Provides guidance and training to less experienced IP attorneys and other global IP members
- Identifies training needs within the organization and assists in the development and presentation of training materials on relevant IP laws and related business issues.
- Strong technical expertise/knowledge in IP(Global products and Global Brand) areas (e.g., advanced degree and/or substantial research/industrial experience in the relevant fields)
- 8+ years of experience practicing intellectual property law (law firm and/or in-house), preferably 4+ years of in-house experience
- Strong communication and presentation skills, ability to communicate complex issues clearly and succinctly
- Mature and professional demeanor with a high degree of self-motivation
- Strong organizational skills, including careful attention to detail and ability to handle and prioritize multiple assignments and maintain strict deadlines through effective time management
- Sound judgment and decision-making abilities.
- Juris Doctorate degree
- Registration before a state bar.
- Registration to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Willingness to travel to various meetings or sites, including overnight trips. Some international travel will be required.
- Requires approximately 10 % travel.
What Takeda can offer you:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
- Empowering Our People to Shine