The S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University is seeking an individual to teach COM 408- Advertising and Public Relations Law on Tuesdays and Thursdays 11:00-11:55 in the fall 2020 semester (2 credits).
Course Description: This two-credit survey course covers several communications law topics of which advertising, public relations, and other strategic communications professionals need to be aware. Topics covered include: First Amendment, Corporate and Commercial Speech, Intellectual Property, Defamation, Privacy, and Regulation of Media. The course meets twice a week and typically has an enrollment of between 40 and 50 undergraduate students.
Instructor should have a law degree and relevant knowledge of the industries involved.
Job Specific Qualifications
It is understood that teaching assignments may include the following:
- Developing a syllabus.
- Ordering in advance books and materials for students in the class to purchase on or before the first day of classes.
- Preparing for classes.
- Holding office hours each week to meet with students in the class and others.
- Grading student assignments and examinations for the course in a timely manner and turning in mid-semester progress reports and final grades according to University Rules.
- Providing departmentally sanctioned forms for completed student evaluations.
- Building a positive rapport with students and other faculty.
- Ability to instruct the class on the days it is designated to meet.
- Ability to hold office hours on campus.
- Ability to grade all assignments and examinations.
Ability to operate standard classroom instructional technology, which may include computer, projector, document camera, etc.