Brouse McDowell is seeking a Partner to join our Trusts & Estates practice. We believe that the foundation of a sound attorney-client relationship is trust and confidence. With this in mind, we work hard to develop strong personal relationships with our clients and assist in educating them in a meaningful way about their estate and succession planning options and opportunities.
When our clients realize that without a properly structured estate, a significant portion could be lost to taxes of one kind or another, they often tell us they wish they had started planning sooner. We believe that planning should begin as soon as a person reaches adulthood. Making estate planning a lifetime priority enables a person to take advantage of vehicles such as trusts, partnerships and tax-sheltered accounts that will not only benefit them while they are alive, but also leave their estate in good shape for transfer to their family upon their death.
Brouse McDowell is known for representing a wide array of individuals and families with closely held businesses and substantial wealth and real estate holdings. Adapting to today’s challenging tax climate, we have developed sophisticated wealth management techniques to defend our clients’ family and individual wealth from erosion by taxes, while ensuring that their companies will be passed on to the next generation in sound condition.
Our clients often seek our advice concerning charitable giving, charitable trusts and questions involving tax-exempt entities such as private foundations. We have organized numerous private family foundations, created and advised public charities and structured gifts to those organizations.
With an intimate understanding of a client’s personal objectives and a strategy for asset distribution established, we provide the technical assistance necessary to preserve the assets and execute the plan according to the client’s wishes. Upon the client’s death, we assist in the administration of the estate and the final tax work involving estate tax returns and income taxation of the client’s estate and/or trust.
The Partner will have the opportunity to work with high profile clients and will be provided the platform and resources needed to continue to build their book of business.Key Responsibilities include:
- Client Management – Communicate with clients to commence an engagement, to keep the matter moving forward on a timely basis, and to make certain that the firm’s efforts are in tune with the client’s needs;
- Delegation -- Delegate tasks when appropriate, yet maintain sufficient direct client contact to ensure the client is satisfied with the progress on the matter and the amount of the attorney’s involvement;
- Draft Documents – Draft and administer all legal contracts and agreements;
- Revenue Growth and Billable Time – Develop a client following to increase the firm’s revenues and keep track of and post all billable and non-billable work;
- Accounts Receivable and Fees – Monitor work in progress to minimize any account receivable or write-off of fees;
- Process Improvement – Make recommendations to improve processes that will increase service quality and efficiency and responsiveness to clients;
- Marketing – Participate in firm’s marketing activities, including public speaking engagements, writing articles and blogs, leading external seminars, and other activities;
- J.D. Degree;
- 8+ years of relevant work experience handling estate planning and trust legal work;
- A portable book of business;
- Experience drafting revocable and irrevocable trusts (including preparation of complex and sophisticated trusts such as ILIT’s, IDGT’s, CRT’S, etc.);
- Experience drafting wills, powers of attorney, advanced directives and other ancillary estate planning documents;
- Knowledge and experience in the preparation of federal estate tax returns and trust and estate income tax returns;
- Administration of sophisticated trusts;
- Experience with probate and guardianship administrations;
- Succession planning, including family limited partnerships and limited liability companies;
- Special needs and elder law experience;
- Excellent communications skills – both oral and written;
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills;
- Track record of being collaborative and team oriented;
- An entrepreneurial mindset with outstanding organizational and leadership skills;
- Highly organized, acute attention to detail, and ability to operate with an action orientation in a high pressure, fast-paced environment;
- Sense of urgency, hunger, and drive/commitment;
- Ability to anticipate client needs/forward-thinking and solutions-oriented approach at all times;