If you're passionate about being part of a diverse organization that enables a Fortune 100 company to deliver innovative business solutions with excellence, then An Insurance and Financial Services Company's Legal team could be the place for you!
Job Description Summary
Would you thrive in an environment where you can deliver top-quality legal services to support the goals and objectives of a Fortune 100 insurance and financial services company? If you possess the legal education, skills and expertise needed to provide outstanding service, advice, and counsel, we want to hear from you!
As Managing Counsel, you'll lead a larger or more senior-level team of attorneys and other legal associates, or a legal specialty in its entirety, to ensure that legal services are provided for one or more major businesses/areas. We'll count on you to work closely with the Office of the Chief Legal Officer (OCLO), business and senior leaders to evaluate the legal impact of various corporate or department strategies.
- Leads a team to resolve highly complex and/or a broad range of legal and organizational issues. May independently work directly, or provide subject matter expertise, on significant, high-risk, or highly complex legal matters. Regularly attends business partner meetings to better understand business processes and needs.
- Identifies and logically assesses potential legal risks in ambiguous, unique and/or highly complex business situations. Creates valuable risk management/mitigation recommendations using sound risk assessment information to further achievement of business objectives.
- Interacts regularly with senior leaders in OCLO or the company on legal matters within area of responsibility. Has a moderate level of input into or influence on company decision-making
- Creates practical and effective solutions to the most complex legal issues with no established precedent; develops creative solutions to unique legal problems. On behalf of the company or the area of expertise, has periodic interaction with persons outside of the company.
- Takes the lead role in matters that are highly complex, strategic, or sensitive in nature. Keeps senior leaders and appropriate management of Company informed of case law and new legislation, as appropriate. Considers the long-term business and strategic consequences of possible outcomes. Delivers difficult messages or news and challenges business partners when necessary; responds to challenges to advice and counsel directly and effectively.
- Brings a broad network of established relationships, both internal and external, to the organization.
- Leads a group of attorneys (and possibly related legal staff) supporting one or more business units within the company.
- Leads and trains other attorneys or paralegals on procedural, business, or legal issues. Demonstrates strong leadership skills in team building, motivating, influencing, successfully leading through and motivating change. Provides input into the strategic direction for the larger team.
- Leads and runs assigned unit's day-to-day operations, including associate performance management, salary planning and administration, training and development, workflow, and organizational planning, hiring and placement and disciplinary actions.
- Makes recommendations on and ensures compliance with approved organization and outside counsel budgets.
- Develops objectives for implementation of legal initiatives.
- May perform other responsibilities as assigned.
Reporting Relationships: Reports to Associate Vice President/Vice President/Senior Vice President; leads a team of Legal professionals.
Typical Skills and Experiences:
- Education: Juris Doctorate from an American Bar Association-accredited law school.
- License/Certification/Designation: Associates reporting within An Insurance and Financial Services Company’s OCLO who are functioning in attorney roles must be fully licensed in accordance with OCLO policy, in good standing and in compliance with all continuing legal education requirements at all times in the state(s) in which they practice.
- Experience: Legal expertise and broad business acuity recognized company wide. Typically has 12 or more years of relevant legal experience. Must have leadership experience.
- Knowledge, Abilities and Skills: Has significant knowledge of one or more areas of law, complex legal practices, and procedures. Project management concept and techniques. Understands staff and team coaching and development techniques, setting strategy and managing to group objectives. Considered a subject matter authority within his or her areas of responsibility. Sound business savvy and knowledge of the business goals and objectives as they relate to the matter at hand. Strong verbal and written communication skills for interacting with all levels within OCLO and with business clients. Analytical ability to interpret statutes, regulations, insurance policies and other contracts. Decision-making ability to set work priorities and make recommendations. Ability to lead, initiate, organize and coordinate highly complex, cross-functional projects and/or cases. Significant negotiation skills. Strong leadership and management skills: team building concepts, motivating, influencing, successfully leading through and motivating change. Significant professional and/or civic involvement.
- Other criteria, including leadership skills, competencies and experiences may take precedence.
- Staffing exceptions to the above must be approved by the hiring manager’s leader and Human Resources Business Partner.
- Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates An Insurance and Financial Services Company Values.
- Overtime Eligibility: Not Eligible (Exempt)
- Working Conditions: Normal office environment. Some travel may be required.
- ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
- Credit/Background Check: Due to the fiduciary accountabilities of this job, a valid credit and/or background check will be required as part of the selection process.