Twitter seeks a business savvy attorney and privacy expert to lead and grow a team of unparalleled privacy attorneys supporting Twitter’s privacy initiatives enterprise wide. Reporting to Twitter’s Deputy General Counsel of Product and Privacy, you and your team will be on the front lines of implementing strategic best practices and legal counsel to ensure Twitter complies with all relevant privacy laws and regulations globally. This is an opportunity to provide leadership and expertise driving creative, business enabling, customer-focused, practical and proactive legal guidance. Twitter is a culture where everyone rolls up their sleeves and digs in to work, and this role is no different. You will be a working manager of the team.
Who We Are:
Privacy team members are key advisors to a wide range of Twitter teams and partner closely with legal, including our Office of Data Protection, and business colleagues across Marketing, the People Team, Public Policy, Commercial, IT, InfoSec, and others on all things Privacy. We are passionate about privacy and growing our business in a way that makes us proud.
What You’ll Do:
- Provide hands-on and strategic direction and leadership to the Privacy Counsel team and build strong talent and capability aligned to achieve both the team’s and the company’s strategic objectives.
- Partner with the Deputy General Counsel of Product & Privacy, the DPO, and the Privacy Counsel team to proactively develop and execute a cohesive privacy legal strategy and implement best practices throughout the company.
- Advise as a subject matter expert on global privacy law, including consumer data use and sharing, behavioral advertising and analytics, research partnerships, employment and recruiting, and data incidents and help the Privacy Counsel team do the same.
- Build and maintain scalable and effective processes for providing legal input to clients on strategic initiatives related to privacy.
- Drive operational initiatives around evolving global privacy regulations, including GDPR, CCPA, and the ePrivacy Directive/ePrivacy Regulation.
- Creatively build upon and drive awareness around privacy and data security issues, including developing and delivering training and scalable written guidance to legal team members, clients and cross-functional stakeholders. Drive knowledge management efforts for the team around privacy.
- Support company engagement with government, industry, and consumer groups on privacy issues.
- Support data incident response preparedness, including evolving and practicing the Company’s data incident response plan in partnership with other teams.
- Stay up-to-date on relevant U.S. and international laws and regulations around privacy and advise on potential business impact of proposed changes to U.S. and international privacy and data security laws and regulations.
- Partner with business partners and the DGC on prioritization, resourcing, and budgeting for the Privacy Counsel team.
- Work collaboratively across multiple functions, including Legal, Compliance, Marketing, Sales, Finance, Internal Audit, Trust & Safety, Public Policy, and Communications.
Who You Are:
The successful candidate will have excellent management skills, a commitment to privacy principles, expertise in domestic and international privacy laws, will develop a deep understanding of Twitter’s products and business, and have an ability to guide clients with clear, practical advice in a fast-paced environment. We are looking for people who are collaborative, flexible, self-motivated, curious, creative, and clear communicators (both written and verbal).
- 3 or more years of successfully managing a team of three or more in a fast paced in-house environment in a regulated industry.
- 12 or more years of relevant legal experience.
- Expertise with global privacy and data protection laws and significant experience counseling a global company on international privacy and data protection issues.
- Solution-oriented, customer service, and growth mindset. You welcome diverse perspectives and engage problems with curiosity.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication, leadership, and project management skills, including a strong desire and ability to make complex topics understandable for various audiences.
- Strong management skills and a deep sense of commitment to growing and supporting your team.
- Ability and strong desire to effectively advise, develop relationships, and work collaboratively across stakeholders both within and outside of Legal.
- Experience partnering closely with a DPO and counseling commercial, corporate development, marketing, employment, recruiting, finance, research, and IT teams.
- Experience partnering with public policy on analysis of existing and proposed privacy legislation and regulation. Familiarity with self-regulatory regimes in the advertising industry.
- A combination of in-house and government, civil society, academia, and/or private practice experience.
- California State Bar admission in good standing (or qualified for and willing to maintain Registered In-House Counsel status with California State Bar).
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.