The Managing Counsel for the Laureate Online and US Campuses Division will be responsible for managing projects and people within the Legal Department and for providing legal advice and support to the universities within the Division. The qualified individual will have at least 6 years of legal and management experience providing counsel and operations support focusing on a broad range of business matters, including litigation and claims management, employment law and counseling, regulatory compliance, contract review, legal research and writing, and governance, with a goal of assuring consistent, excellent and timely advice and legal support to higher education clients. Individual will work with inside and outside counsel, as appropriate.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities:
- Manage and supervise legal department attorneys and staff.
- Manage discrete areas of legal responsibility within the Legal Department.
- Ensure that Legal Department goals are met and within approved budgets.
- Provides timely, consistent, sound and practical legal advice, counseling and documentation related to wide range of academic and operational matters, working closely in support of corporate legal department staff, in a fast-paced, complex higher education environment
- Prepare and complete initial and renewal applications, annual reports, program authorizations, agent permits, information requests and other duties supporting compliance with state higher education authorities for Laureate institutions which are required to maintain compliance with higher education regulations
- Responsible for providing support to Laureate divisions including enrollment advisors, admissions, bursar, product development, academic advisors, etc., by providing technical assistance regarding state education board authorizations.
- Strong knowledge and experience in business operations including litigation and claims management and contract review.
- Develops innovative solutions for difficult, complex, and systemic problems that may have precedent- setting implications for the company; is usually responding to new situations and circumstances that require attention
- Maintains current knowledge of applicable laws, providing management with analyses of potential impacts and relevant information regarding newly enacted legislation.
- Experience with regulatory compliance required
- Strong knowledge of employment law and counseling preferred.
- Experience with faculty and student affairs preferred.
- Strong writing and drafting skills
- Ability to function effectively and collaboratively as part of a team that includes business people, academics and other attorneys
- Must work well as a team member in a small corporate legal team.
- Strong client counseling skills, from both the legal and business perspectives, with the ability to differentiate between the two
Other Duties And Responsibilities:
May perform other duties and responsibilities that management deems necessary.
Positions Supervised: Paralegal and other position as may be necessary.
Technical, Managerial, and People Skills Required
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Incumbents will be evaluated, in part, based on performance of each essential function. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to handle and prioritize a high and diverse volume of legal matters with limited supervision, this includes self-initiation of problem identification, negotiation and resolution for company’s benefit even where not specifically pre-directed by a supervisor;
- Good business judgment and ability to work collaboratively with other team members and business clients, including senior management;
- Comfortable working in an international business setting and interacting and collaborating with various cultures.
Education and/or Experience:
- A Juris Doctor (JD) degree from an accredited law school; membership in the Bar; and 6 years of legal experience in a university, law firm or corporate setting, especially experience in dealing independently with business clients primarily in connection with business, litigation and regulatory compliance issues
- Experience in higher education law strongly preferred
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, capable of providing sound and timely advice, and able to make a positive contribution to a very collegial working environment.
- Good organization and interpersonal skills, ability to be very hands-on with a 'roll up the sleeves' mentality
- Proven ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated mental acuity with eagerness to learn new functions and areas of expertise
- Comfortable working in an international business and across varying cultures
- Ability to use a personal computer for word processing, e-mail and research
- Availability for occasional travel
Licensure and/or Certification
Equal Employment Opportunity
Our goal is to have a diverse workforce that is representative of our students and our communities. Laureate is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring based upon merit. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform with or without reasonable accommodations. We do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.