We are currently looking for a skilled and highly qualified associate with 2 to 5 years of experience to join our Commercial Litigation practice group in our L.A. office. Extensive complex business disputes experience, strong academic achievement, and law firm experience are required. Experience defending class actions, taking depositions and appearing in court is preferred.
As well as excellent academic credentials, you should possess the analytical rigor to grasp the legal intricacies of complex disputes and the competitive spirit needed to thrive in the adversarial court arena. Given our practice’s focus on oral and written advocacy, you should demonstrate excellent communication skills, a flair for legal drafting, and an enthusiasm for the linguistic and technical challenge of constructing legal arguments.
Strong organizational and time management skills will also be significant assets, enabling you to manage multiple workstreams and produce exceptional work to tight deadlines.
Our Practice Area
We represent clients in all stages of domestic and international litigation, before trial, appellate, regulatory and alternative dispute resolution tribunals across the world. Renowned for the global breadth and local depth of our experience in this field, we are trusted advisors to the world's leading financial institutions, largest corporations, sovereign governments, executives and directors. As well as guiding clients through their most complex and significant litigation challenges, we also help them steer clear of disputes, by developing and implementing risk management and compliance measures.
As an associate joining our practice, you will be given responsibility for a wide range of tasks. You will be draft pleadings, discovery, and motions, conduct legal research, take and defend depositions, argue motions in court, and prepare for and participate in trials.
The work can be demanding, but is always rewarding—offering excellent opportunities for learning and development. We foster a collegial working environment where partners are friendly and accessible, and colleagues always supportive and open to questions. Your professional development will also be enhanced by regular interaction with colleagues across the firm’s global network, with specialist knowledge of such practice areas as Antitrust/Competition, International Arbitration, Intellectual Property and Environment & Climate Change.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Developing litigation strategy for complex business disputes and class-actions
- Drafting motions, trial briefs, examination outlines and other documents for commercial litigation matters
- Conducting brief or somewhat more complex research, and/or drafting memoranda
- Guiding clients through complex business disputes, class-actions and other litigation matters
- Participating in witness interviews, depositions (take and defend) and/or trial testimony
- Analyzing discovery and evidence to develop litigation facts and strategy
- Communicating with clients (via telephone, E-mail and in-person)
- Providing direct assistance to senior lawyers and overseeing junior lawyers on matters arising in the course of day-to-day provision of legal services
- 2 – 5 years of complex business disputes experience
- Law firm experience
- Judicial clerkship preferred
- Experience defending class actions, taking depositions and appearing in court preferred
- Strong academic record and intellectual curiosity, creative thinker
- Commercial and business awareness
- Ability to see the big picture
- Outstanding communication and negotiation skills
- Strong time management skills, ability to stay calm under pressure when juggling multiple projects
- Excellent drafting skills
- Driven by professional growth
- Strong professional presence
- Client service focus
- Team player
- Strong judgment
- Proactive, resourceful, takes initiative
- Long-term interest in business law
- Fluency in English