We are looking to add an experienced Trial Attorney to our Staff Legal Office in Rancho Cordova, CA. This litigator will be responsible for representing the commercial insureds of a prestigious and financially stable commercial insurance carrier, by preparing and trying moderate to high exposure General Liability and Commercial Auto cases from a challenging and varied caseload.
If you are ready for a career move, consider working for a company with a global footprint that offers an excellent work/life balance, terrific benefits including a 401K match and a second 401K company contribution, flexible work options and a great culture.
This is an exciting opportunity to work for a well-respected Company and represent its insureds in all phases of litigation, while being part of a high-performing law office. The ideal candidate will be able to engage in the practice of law, at all times in compliance with the ethical standards as established by the national/local area of practice.
The selected candidate will perform duties encompassing all aspects of insurance defense, including initial investigation and legal analysis and advice, preparing and filing legal pleadings and documents, performing legal research, preparing for and conducting pre-trial discovery, preparing for and aggressively handling hearing and trials, and conducting post-trial activities where appropriate. Demonstrated case analysis ability and a track record of proven trial settlement skills, the ability to work independently and without substantial supervision.
- Juris Doctor and 7 or more years of experience in the Litigation area
- Member of the California Bar in good standing
- Experience with Microsoft Office and Adobe
- Experience working with Lexis or Westlaw
- Knowledge of the insurance industry, claims and the insurance defense litigation legal environment
- Experience with insurance industry claims and general commercial litigation, including but not limited to wrongful death, commercial motor vehicle torts, products and premises liability and personal injury
- Must be well organized with good analytical skills, excellent oral and written communication skills, proactive approach to file handling and caseloads, and able to work independently as well as within a team environment
- Recent first chair jury trial experience
- Demonstrates effective negotiating skills
- Ability to budget costs and calculate exposure for clients
- Efficient work habits, knowledge of billables and diary review with substantive and procedural legal knowledge.
- Understands the staff counsel function and role in overall business.
- A functional and extensive knowledge of the law and procedure
- Prior experience in an insurance defense environment
- Strong negotiation skills
- Effective problem solving skills
- Experience working in a team-based environment
- Strong collaboration skills
- PC literate