The Long Law Firm is looking to hire an associate (0-4 years experience) to assist primarily in its litigation and insurance defense practices. Salary is competitive and commiserate with experience level.
Attorneys that are interested in the firm's other practice areas (data privacy & cybersecurity, business law, contracts & licensing, etc.) will have those opportunities, but the majority of their time will be focused on litigation.
Our firm is small but mighty. We launched in February 2020 and our caseload has grown from a handful of matters, into a busy practice. This is a great opportunity for an entry-level associate to start in a place where you will be trained, respected, and given an opportunity to grow into a larger role. Or an excellent opportunity for someone with a little more experience to get an opportunity to run cases, without working in a sweat shop. You would be coming in at the bottom floor, with plenty of room to grow and more than enough work to keep you busy.
We are committed to making this firm a good place to work, and a good place to build a career. We want to hire someone for the long haul. You will work hard here, but you will also have the freedom to live your life, build, and grow as a person. Our minimum billing requirement for this position is 150 hours per month, excluding PTO.
Most of our litigation involves representing municipalities and school districts facing various tort claims. The claims range from property damage to motor vehicle accidents, to slip and falls, with cases ranging in value from very small, to tens of millions of dollars. This wide range of cases gives an associate a great opportunity to get their feet wet on small cases, and grow into heavier responsibility.
This firm is founded on several core principles. Among them, we believe that training our people is our responsibility. We believe that respect goes both ways. This is not the sort of place where people are berated, disrespected, or treated poorly. If you do great work, we'll let you know. If you don't, we'll work to address any issues that might be preventing great work. We believe there are no bad teams, only bad leaders. We strive to follow the principles of extreme ownership (bonus points if you've read the book).
An applicant with some transactional experience would be a plus, as this practice area has been growing as well.
This is a very small office (for now). Please be a person that is pleasant to be around.Qualifications:
- must have a J.D. and be admitted to practice law in New York State (or have admission pending);
- must be proficient with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and other standard office software;
- must exhibit excellent attention to detail;
- familiarity with Clio is a plus;
- familiarity with contracts, business law, cybersecurity topics is a plus;
- must have strong writing skills;
- litigation experience preferred;
- must be willing and able to work independently (with guidance);
- must be a friendly and pleasant person that will fit into our relatively casual office culture;
- must have excellent time management skills;
- must be willing to learn new skills;
- must be able to take responsibility for assignments and see them to completion; and
- must have a "can-do" attitude.
- be a friendly, helpful person who is engaged in their work and eager to complete the team's mission;
- take 50-h hearings, track cases, draf answers, review and summarizing of discovery, prepare discovery responses and requests, draft motions, write reports and all of the work up in between that goes into defending a lawsuit;
- as you prove you are able to handle to more, we'll train you to take depositions, argue motions, and prepare for trial;
- bill time to various matters, mostly involving insurance defense and meet the firm's billable requirements (150 hours per month for full-time); and
- participate and assist in marketing efforts.
- If you are interested in the position, we urge you to give it a shot. Go for it! The worst that can happen is we say no.
- we are firmly committed to treating every member of our team with the respect they deserve; that includes associates and staff;
- training is treated as necessary and important, rather than an after-thought;
- no office politics; good work is rewarded;
- lots of restaurants and lunch spots nearby (including Otro Cinco in the building);
- beautiful historic office building;
- extremely flexible for the right person, we are committed to building something really special in Syracuse and want team members who are willing to put the work in;
- willing to accommodate team members to help you do your job better, if you need something, tell us, and let's figure out how to make it happen;
- some telecommuting allowed (just be reasonable);
- willing to implement other benefits upon request (like health insurance, 401k, etc.);
- we will pay billing bonuses based on a percentage of your billing collected;
- we don't care whether you are into knitting at home or singing in a punk-metal ska band. We don't judge. Just do good work, go home when you are done, and be yourself.
- The Long Law Firm, PLLC welcomes all people, regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, or disability and proudly supports everyone who believes in the freedom to be themselves.