Disability Rights Florida was founded in 1977 as the statewide designated protection and advocacy system for individuals with disabilities in the State of Florida and is the third-largest Protection and Advocacy system in the nation representing a growing, diverse state. Disability Rights Florida advocates, educates, investigates, and litigates to protect and advance the rights, dignity, equal opportunities, self-determination, and choices for all people with disabilities. We are a passionate, highly motivated group and we are looking for exceptional talent to join our team. Disability Rights Florida offers an excellent comprehensive employee benefit package. Some of the benefits included are paid vacation time, contributed employer medical, vision and dental insurance, 401(k) plan with an employer 3% match, life, short and long-term disability insurance, and generous paid holidays. Salary is commensurate with experience.Location
This position will be located in one of our four Florida offices (Tallahassee, Gainesville, Tampa, or Hollywood).Position Overview
As a member of the Leadership Team, the Legal Director is responsible for overseeing the legal work and services provided by Disability Rights Florida (DRF) including direct supervision of the work of attorneys who direct various teams. A critical component of the position is leading DRF litigation and related advocacy efforts in areas which involve system issues affecting a broad class of DRF clients.
The Legal Director works closely with the Executive Director on matters related to the advocacy efforts of the organization, including policies, resource development, reporting, and external affairs and assists the Executive Director in developing and implementing the strategic plan as well as; oversees the development and implementation of work plans to ensure that appropriate strategies are used to achieve long term objectives. In addition, the Legal Director acts as General Counsel to the organization and acts on behalf of the Executive Director, if so delegated. The Legal Director provides leadership to ensure that Disability Rights Florida achieves its overall mission to protect the rights of Floridians with disabilities.Responsibilities
- Provides day-to-day leadership and oversight of the organization’s legal work and legal team members.
- Ensures that the rights of people with disabilities as provided for by law and regulation are enforced through organizational leadership as well as personal effort.
- Develop, manage and supervise DRF’s individual and systemic litigation; ensures the ongoing development of litigation on disability rights issues.
- Uses best business practices to establish and maintain an organizational structure capable of taking effective appropriate action to resolve complaints of violations, withholding or denial of rights made by or on behalf of clients.
- Assists the Executive Director in programmatic oversight of the advocacy efforts of the organization, including coordination with the Director of Operations in human resource matters, as well as programmatic funding allocations, and in coordination with the Director of Legislative and Public Affairs in educating legislators and leaders of the state executive branch agencies on organizational priorities and to coordinate on policy and legal advocacy strategies and tactics.
- Ensures high quality legal and advocacy representation through staff training, routine guidance, providing opportunities for achievement and recognition, and enforcing professional accountability.
- Demonstrates command of law and legal procedure, monitors trends in litigation and policy development and communicates legal advice in a manner appropriate to the audience.
- Develops and expands relationships and collaborates with other agencies and private firms, both in Florida and other states, which pursue impact litigation.
- Acts with utmost commitment to the code of professional conduct and ethics, sets example for professional conduct of staff.
- Provides comprehensive reports of legal and advocacy accomplishments to Board of Directors, PAIMI Advisory Council and as required or requested by other executive, legislative or policy leaders.
- Completes accurate and timely administrative reports, manages resources and ensures staff compliance with organizational fiscal and human resource policy and procedure.
- Participates in organizational events, maintains working relationship with other disability rights attorneys in both public legal service and private practice, and relevant state and national advocacy organizations to enhance the visibility of the organization and further the rights of individuals with disabilities.
- Carries out other such duties as may from time to time be required. Frequent travel within the state and occasionally out of state is required.
- A commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences;
- Demonstrated commitment to civil rights and civil liberties consistent with the mission of Disability Rights Florida;
- Eight (8) years or more of trial and appellate litigation experience at the state and federal levels including complex civil or impact litigation, with a strong background in civil rights and public interest law;
- Proven leadership skills, knowledge of management principles and strategic planning, organizational skills to manage multiple priorities and meet internal and external deadlines;
- Knowledge of federal benefit and state social welfare systems, institutional regulations impacting individuals with disabilities;
- Public speaking skills.
- J.D. Law Degree; Member of the Florida Bar and one federal district bar
- Minimum of five years of legal management experience
Kindly refer to the below link for a detailed description of the job: