Under the direction of the Vice President of Finance, the Legal Counsel is responsible for managing and responding to company-wide legal issues, coordinating international legal activities, developing legal templates, coordinating litigation and settlement efforts, developing and assisting with company policies, ensuring compliance with international, federal, and state-specific regulations, analyzing contract requirements and terms and conditions while also handling contract management, development of legal policies and procedures, and creating legal databanks for future reference.
- Give accurate and timely legal advice to executives in a variety of legal topics (labor law, employment law, contracts, FARs/DFARs, C-TPAT, etc.)
- Specify internal governance policies and regularly monitor compliance efforts.
- Research, prepare, and present on various legal issues which may affect the company; both proactively and as issues are brought forward by department personnel.
- Engage in risk mitigation efforts on behalf of the company which efforts may include advising on regulatory/compliance/contractual requirements, providing policy/process guidance, and/or drafting or updating documentation.
- Manage every aspect of the contract review process, from initial requests through contract completions, for all department inquiries.
- Update and monitor internal contract management system, including contract terminations and contract renewals.
- Collaborate with internal and external counsel (and other parties such as regulators and other public authorities) globally to administer international contract reviews, regulatory requirements, cases, and business policies.
- Manage legal department personnel by assigning tasks and ensuring timely completion of tasks.
- Provide clarification on legal language or specifications to everyone in the company.
- Evaluate company’s contractual requirements against company’s policies and procedures.
- Evaluate company’s risk with international, federal, and state regulations as those regulations are updated in order to develop and implement, separately and in conjunction with internal departments, policies or procedures that will improve compliance with international, federal, and state regulations and contractual requirements.
- Draft and solidify agreements, contracts, and other legal documents to ensure company’s full legal rights.
- Familiarity with international, federal, and state regulations, laws, ordinances, and programs.
- Familiarity with legal language and contract provisions.
- Familiarity with legal research techniques and resources.
- Ability to recognize risks and areas of non-compliance contained within contractual requirements and regulatory programs.
- Writing skills necessary to create, revise, and review legal documents and contracts.
- Ability to lead meetings and drive discussions related to risk and risk mitigation.
- Time management skills to meet customer deadlines or managerial/supervisory priorities when possible and, if not possible, document internal setbacks causing delays for proper escalation and decision-making.
- Attention to detail.
Qualifications (skills, knowledge, experience)
- Juris Doctorate required.
- 5+ years’ experience as a business law attorney preferred, or at least 8 years’ experience in a corporation required.
- Ideal candidate will be an attorney with experience in contract management and risk mitigation efforts.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of corporate law and procedures.
- Ability to work independently or in a team.
- Ability to work with people of different professional backgrounds, internally and externally.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record and adequate insurance required.
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
When you Apply, don't forget to mention that you found this job on Attorneyjobsinusa.com.