Provides proactive and strategic legal advice to business franchises, business units and other functions and clients within Roche Diagnostics. By developing practical compliant solutions, positions Legal and Compliance as a competitive advantage to the business.
Primary responsibility involves all aspects of commercial contracts and business law: maximizing business opportunity while minimizing risk associated with the
- Marketing, sales and service of products within the United States and
- Development and production of local and global products.
Secondary responsibilities include: assisting the Ethics & Compliance function with investigations, roll-out, training and application of Compliance policies and rendering advice on compliance with Company policies and regulatory requirements; supporting the Chief Employment Counsel with HR compliance projects, counseling and risk mitigation, supporting the Privacy function and Commercial IT team relating to relevant issues in these areas.
- Other duties as appropriate may be assigned by Legal department leadership. Provides a “cross-business” practice perspective or industry perspective to the Legal Function and business based on prior experience.
- Contributes to the Legal department’s policy and position-setting based on cross-functional expertise and exposure to multiple aspects of Roche business.
- A seasoned professional with a positive can-do attitude, flexibility and adaptability, wide-ranging experience, business acumen, professionalism and sound judgment.
- Deals with diverse and often times complex and sensitive issues, where analysis may require discretion, collaboration and in-depth evaluation of many factors.
- Exercises independent judgment in evaluating methods and determining criteria to develop solutions.
- Networks and actively reaches out to/collaborates with senior internal and external personnel in area of expertise as well as key contacts outside area of expertise and across the Roche global network.
- Primarily provide counseling on commercial and business law issues to all functional groups within Roche Diagnostics Corporation and services to the relevant business unit, including business unit management, marketing, sales, research and development, and manufacturing. Develop an in-depth working knowledge of the business unit’s products, pipeline, market and business models and apply this knowledge in the delivery of sound and practical legal advice.
- In addition, support elements of the company’s Ethics and Compliance program including the employee ethics-line reporting system, employee training, investigations, and reporting obligations.
- Assist the Ethics & Compliance team with ensuring Company compliance with laws, regulations and industry standards that include, among others, state and federal anti-kickback statutes, compliance with laws impacting CLIA labs and IDTFs, compliance with FDA and other relevant regulatory requirements, and compliance with applicable corporate codes and policies (e.g., the Company’s Code of Conduct on Interactions with Health Care Professionals, which is based on the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals).
- Assist the Labor and Employment team with a variety of employment-related matters and personnel policies and procedures. Balance risk and legal compliance requirements with the impact to the employee experience. Embody the Roche cultural beliefs and do what it takes to ensure that Roche is and continues to be a “great place to work”.
- Foster cross-functional and unit collaboration and understanding of Roche Diagnostics’ businesses, products, customers and goals.
- Review and keep business unit management informed of legal developments. Understand competitive landscape and proactively develop competitive legal and compliance solutions that best positions Roche.
- Work as a liaison between clients and subject matter expert attorneys (intellectual property, regulatory, fraud and abuse) to ensure effective mitigation of risk in specialized areas of law.
- Negotiate, draft and review contracts and other legal documents required by the relevant franchise and business unit.
- Work with global business area and affiliate attorneys as necessary to assist clients in achieving business goals.
Who you are:
- Doctor of Jurisprudence from an ABA-accredited law school, licensed to practice law in one or more of the 50 states.
- 5 years legal experience
- At least five (5) years’ experience practicing law at a large- to medium-sized law firm or within a corporate law or contracting department in a Life Sciences company (i.e., Pharma, Diagnostics, Devices, Biotech)
- Strong transactional, contract development and negotiation experience.
- Willingness and ability to deliver a consistent message in the face of pressure or adversity.
- A demonstrated ability to establish and maintain open, candid and trusting work relationships.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment, and to work with and maintain confidential and sensitive information.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills and the ability to manage ambiguous situations and issues.
- Proven ability to take a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives in order to achieve strategic business results.
- Enthusiasm and self-starter qualities, and ability to manage responsibilities with an appropriate sense of urgency.
- Ability to function effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.